IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transcoding from FLAC vs. ripping from CD, Any difference?
Professor Plunk
post Aug 20 2013, 16:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 109383

Hey, I'd like to know if there is a difference between transcoding a song from FLAC into a lossy format and ripping directly the song from the CD into the same format. I guess the quality of the final lossy file is exactly the same with the two methods, but I wanna be sure.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d125q
post Aug 20 2013, 16:46
Post #2

Member No.: 107966

You are absolutely correct -- so long as the FLACs come from a proper CD-rip, there will be no difference whatsoever.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Aug 20 2013, 16:48
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

First, letís assume the FLAC and the unnamed lossy format were ripped from the same CD using the same drive and the same settings. Search for background information on accurately extracting CDs if youíre not sure about this bit. If the two files are not from the same source, all bets are off, and you take your chances there, but it makes the question irrelevant. So, assuming identical origins:

Any difference?
No.

I guess the quality of the final lossy file is exactly the same with the two methods
Yes.

Letís analyse this. What could possibly exist that could introduce a difference between the two methods?

Ripping to any format requires an intermediate uncompressed stage, where the audio from the CD is fed into an encoder, be it lossless or lossy. Converting from FLAC to a lossy format requires an intermediate uncompressed stage, just the same. But why would either of these stages introduce a difference? The audio going into the lossy encoder will be the same in either case.
+Quote Post
Professor Plunk
post Aug 21 2013, 18:18
Post #4

Member No.: 109383

Thanks for the answer. smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 18:21