Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is flac better than a retail cd?
WillyPhilly100
post Aug 7 2013, 03:15
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 109501

Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd? Also, would a retail cd to flac transcode be a bad one? Would there be any loss of quality? Thanks guys!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Aug 7 2013, 03:37
Post #2

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (WillyPhilly100 @ Aug 6 2013, 22:15) *
Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd?

This question doesn't really make sense. FLAC is just an exact copy of something. If its of a retail CD, then its the same thing as that CD. If its from some other source, it may be better or worse depending on that source.

QUOTE (WillyPhilly100 @ Aug 6 2013, 22:15) *
Would there be any loss of quality?

FLAC is a lossless format, so there is no loss.

FWIW, the wikipedia page may be a better place to start if you're not sure what something is.
+Quote Post
WillyPhilly100
post Aug 7 2013, 03:39
Post #3

Member No.: 109501

Okay thanks, that solved my question 100%. Yeah I tried the wiki page but couldn't really find any thing about retail cd's.
+Quote Post
TomasPin
post Aug 7 2013, 05:14
Post #4

Member No.: 108508

QUOTE (WillyPhilly100 @ Aug 6 2013, 23:15) *
Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd?

Funny you say that, as the opposite is way more commonly (and erroneously) stated. To sum up, a properly ripped retail cd stored as FLAC is a perfect copy. Period.

Also, would a retail cd to flac transcode be a bad one? Would there be any loss of quality? Thanks guys!

No (well, CDs can be badly ripped, but that has not to do with FLAC as a format), and no. You can read up on ripping here.

Edit: I realise now saratoga adressed your questions earlier and I kinda repeated him... Silly me. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by TomasPin: Aug 7 2013, 05:19

--------------------
A man and his music: http://tubular.net/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 06:04