Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Converting MP3 to Smaller MP3 or AAC?
Chris-AFC
post Jul 3 2013, 12:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108944

Hi guys

Basically I have recently been converting all my FLAC files to 128kb AAC files to put on a cloud server so I can use on my phones and what-not when away from home. The reason for the low bitrate is the limited cloud storage space. I use the highest possible VBR MP3 files on my Cowon J3 so the cloud music is really only for backup and so I can put absolutely EVERYTHING on there.

Even though the vast majority of my collection is in FLAC, I do have some MP3 files too. Most of them are 320 CBR and I will need to downsize them to get them all on the cloud. What I'm wondering is, will I be better off converting them to something like 128 VBR MP3 or to 128kb AAC? Normally I'd always choose AAC at that bitrate but I'm worried if converting to a different format from MP3 will result in worse quality than just converting to 128 VBR MP3.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
EagleScout1998
post Jul 3 2013, 20:39
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 35820

It has been reported that converting mp3 to mp3 gives worse results than mp3 to other lossy formats

I thought the conversion process involved decoding the source file to an intermediate uncompressed format.
+Quote Post
greynol
post Jul 3 2013, 22:09
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (EagleScout1998 @ Jul 3 2013, 12:39) *
It has been reported that converting mp3 to mp3 gives worse results than mp3 to other lossy formats

I thought the conversion process involved decoding the source file to an intermediate uncompressed format.

That's correct, though it doesn't change the possibility that transcoding mp3 to a different lossy format will give better results, especially with smearing.

--------------------
Placebophiles: put up or shut up!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 14:26