IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Articles on auditory sensory memory research vs...
Halcyon
post Jun 6 2003, 18:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 416

I'm doing a preliminary research on auditory sensory memory, especially differences due to distictive neural pathways as compared to the olfactory sense neural pathway.

As you know, some of the fundamental psychophysical testing procedures used in auditory testing today have been originally tested and honed for/with the olfactory senses (see for example: ' Sensory Evaluation Techniques').

However, the current neurological research shows a distinct pathway for smell/taste as compared to hearing. The coupling with sight and hearing appears to be more tighter than with the olfactory senses.

I would be interested in any tips for references from the fields of neurology, psychophysics or psychoacoustics that deal with these issues and try to address these in the test methodologies used currently for auditory testing.

As a teaser, I'll point you to an interesting MMN research article that suggests that guided attention can enhance auditory perception, but has no measurable effect on the long term auditory memory as currently tested for single stimulus detection tasks. I think this poses interesting questions for some of the testing auditory methodologies used, especially considering the time intervals, and affirmation of correct answers in auditory discrimination tests. There are other similarly interesting research articles, mainly from the field of neurology.

Does Auditory memory depend on Attention?, L.Demany, S. Clément, C. Semal. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 109, 686-700. 2001

best regards,
Halcyon
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Pio2001
post Jun 7 2003, 16:08
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 73

In a 16 sessions ABX listening test, the differences vanish near the 6th one for me. That must be between 10 and 20 repetitions.
However, I got the opposite effect on the Astral Projection sample for MPC, I must listen to it repeatedly for about 10 times in order to be able to start ABXing it. Only after several tens of repetions do the difference vanish to my ears.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 03:56