IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules

Please read foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules before posting and comply with all the points.
Failure to provide all the information pointed out in the above document in your post is considered wasting other people's time and in extreme cases will lead to your topic getting locked without a reply.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Does Foobar corrupt so easily?
funkyblue
post Jun 30 2013, 06:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 555

Hello All

Just wondering why Foobar's profile corrupts so easily?
Often my computer is not always shutdown correctly or I've used "Shut Down Anyway", yet Foobar always seems to corrupt itself requiring me to restore the backup.
What is annoying is it managed to write the backup and then corrupt itself.
Is there a way to stop this? (It should not require perfect shutdown to not corrupt itself so much!)

It's the only program that does it.

Thanks
Scott
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marc2003
post Jun 30 2013, 08:17
Post #2

Member No.: 19379

shut foobar properly and then you wouldn't have this problem. seriously, how hard is it to do that?

or if foobar is the only program that is a problem for you, perhaps you should find something else.
+Quote Post
funkyblue
post Jun 30 2013, 09:11
Post #3

This is, it's mostly shut down properly. The program is exited. That being said it should not corrupt so easily.
+Quote Post
aztec_mystic
post Jun 30 2013, 10:33
Post #4

Member No.: 107425

What is the source of those improper shutdowns?

Common journaling file systems are not designed to protect your data in case of things such as sudden power failures (they only protect the integrity of the file system). If you have frequent power losses in your area, get a UPS.

EDIT: and I think it would be completely reasonable of FB devs to assume you terminate the program gracefully.

This post has been edited by aztec_mystic: Jun 30 2013, 10:36
+Quote Post
funkyblue
post Jun 30 2013, 12:54
Post #5

That's fine. I've just never seen a programs that corrupts so easily.
+Quote Post
BenB
post Jun 30 2013, 13:28
Post #6

Member No.: 98921

Why don't you try complying with the Support forum rules and providing some useful information that might help get to the root of the problem?

That said, my first guess would be you've downloaded some configuration that either hacks foobar or makes use of outdated/buggy/banned components. Providing your component list could help narrow down the issue.

This post has been edited by BenB: Jun 30 2013, 13:30
+Quote Post
tpijag
post Jun 30 2013, 13:31
Post #7

Member No.: 53637

It may corrupt easily for you, though I am going to assume your term 'always' was not intended to mean every time. On the other hand, I have had one instance of playlist corruption in 4 years on a fairly old xp based computer.

In my opinion, without providing more information, you have a thread focused on generalities with no specific point. Not sure how anyone can help without you providing more information.

Is this a default installation or one with 3rd party components?
What components?
What OS?
What computer specs?
Which user interface?
Anything else of interest based on reading the sticky attached to this forum?

+Quote Post
Aldem
post Jun 30 2013, 16:42
Post #8

Member No.: 107103

Exactly. The problem may be hardware and not related to foobar at all. Be sure more than less details as possible.
+Quote Post
k37chup
post Jul 1 2013, 21:23
Post #9

Member No.: 108750

Faulty ram can cause corruption. Test your ram http://www.memtest.org/
+Quote Post
EpicForever
post Jul 1 2013, 21:43
Post #10

Member No.: 93712

I've never seen config corruption in foobar. I might have some strange things with playlists but always after manual manipulation over files in config folder and I was never sorry for that. I even used several plugins that were unstable and foobar crashed many times but I've never experienced anything worse than lost of unsaved playlist. If you have any errors then check you HDD for bad sectors and RAM for faults.
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Jul 1 2013, 23:01
Post #11

Member No.: 30694

I have the same experience as EpicForever. Sometimes my computer will lose power or foobar will crash from an unstable plugin. Afterward, foobar asks to start in safe mode the next time I run it. Regardless of which mode I choose, the worst that happens is I lose the playlist I was working on. The program itself is fine; I don't have to reinstall foobar.

It would be helpful if you said exactly what was happening...what do you mean by "Foobar always seems to corrupt itself"? What is corrupt about it? What happens when you try to run it? What messages or strange behavior do you get?
+Quote Post
starmajoris
post Jul 1 2013, 23:09
Post #12

Member No.: 108145

QUOTE (EpicForever @ Jul 1 2013, 16:43) *
I've never seen config corruption in foobar. I might have some strange things with playlists but always after manual manipulation over files in config folder and I was never sorry for that. I even used several plugins that were unstable and foobar crashed many times but I've never experienced anything worse than lost of unsaved playlist. If you have any errors then check you HDD for bad sectors and RAM for faults.

Indeed I can vouch for this. In my 9 years using Foobar as my main 'everything' in the audio department i never had problems apart from unsaved playlists when computer crashes or hangs because of other programs. I've used it in about 7 different computers now with no problem at all.
Mostly is your installation has some kind of problem or is a hardware issue as all above mentioned.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 03:39