IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

FFT Windowing
RiskyP
post Jun 5 2003, 17:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1781

I am in the process of trying to understand FFT analysis as it pertains to audio, and I have come across the concept of FFT windowing. Am I understanding it correctly that the main use of FFT windowing is to get better results in the frequency domain (ex. minimizing Gibbs Phenomenon) ?

It seems that one of the most common window functions used is the Hamming window. If I want to use the Hamming window do I just apply and upward slope from the first sample in my data chunk to the center sample and a downward slope from the center sample to the last sample? (This is what the graph in front of me shows) Or is there an explicit mathematical method I am not aware of?

Edit: Is the Hamming window good for complex signals too? (the example I read about had only one frequency involved)

This post has been edited by RiskyP: Jun 5 2003, 17:43
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
F1Sushi
post Jun 5 2003, 20:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3236

FFT windowing is required to minimize bin "bleed" or "leakage" that occurs in frequency components that are not related to the sampling rate and fall outside the nearest FFT frequency bin. This naturally occurs in all normal audio. An example of where windowing is not required is a test tone that would be used to measure distortion in a conversion process, where the test tone is related to the sampling rate and falls into one of the FFT's frequency bins.

Your windowing example would be "triangular" windowing (assuming a constant slope).

Try this link...

http://humanresources.web.cern.ch/humanres...02B_27Feb03.pdf
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 14:48