IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

For Something Completely Fresh - Stereo Receiver Advice ~$150-200
studyplenty
post May 20 2013, 20:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108228

Guys, I hate to ask something I'm sure gets asked constantly, but I will anyway and hope for the best:

My buddy's taking a mild plunge and spending some cash on a setup to replace his cobbled-together 1970s era speakers and stereo receiver from the 80s.

He is getting a set of Polk Monitor 65Ts and a PSW10 subwoofer, but he needs to replace his receiver as well and we don't know the first thing about which brands to look into, or anything.

He doesn't need 5.1 or any real multimedia functionality, just the best stereo sound he can get for the price range - and of course, if there is a worthy receiver at $220-250, or if that's the range you need to be in for something truly decent, he's willing to make it work.

He's looking to buy online and ship within the US, been checking out Amazon and Newegg mostly, but just out of ignorance. Is there a better online store to check out? Maybe used will be the way to go?

Most music will come from his HTPC and be FLAC files.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you guys may have.

This post has been edited by studyplenty: May 20 2013, 21:33
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Apesbrain
post May 20 2013, 23:18
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10915

It's been a while since I was in the market for a receiver but these days I might favor an A/V model. No harm in having the extra channels available; you don't need to use them. Potential advantages include: lots of analog/digital inputs, internal DAC, full-featured remote, front-panel USB, subwoofer output, future multi-zone/multi-channel/video use if you desire.

This one in your price range offers internet radio, a built-in room equalizer function, and a 2-year warranty:
http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=H...ource=prodClass
http://www.frys.com/product/7405885?source...CFUqZ4AodtScAbA
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 04:15