IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
New encoder AAC(Lav) in avidemux: is it of good quality?, [was “AAC(Lav)”/TOS #6]
flebber
post May 18 2013, 10:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 61268

I haven't seen as an encoder before. I was trying the latest beta of avidemux and they are offering AAC(Lav) as an alternative to FAAC. With megui I have been using QAAC as my encoder and next would use the Nero Encoder as I AFAIK FAAC is not the highest quality AAC encoder.

But where does the Quality of AAC(Lav) fit in?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LithosZA
post May 18 2013, 12:26
Post #2

Member No.: 88525

If Lav means libav then I would say pretty poor. It kinda reaches transparency at around 256Kbps when I ABXed it, but I also find FAAC only to only reach transparency at >192Kbps. The only decent open source AAC encoder at the moment is fdk-aac.

IMO stick with QAAC.

This post has been edited by LithosZA: May 18 2013, 12:30
+Quote Post
flebber
post May 19 2013, 00:51
Post #3

Member No.: 61268

QUOTE (LithosZA @ May 18 2013, 21:26) *

If Lav means libav then I would say pretty poor. It kinda reaches transparency at around 256Kbps when I ABXed it, but I also find FAAC only to only reach transparency at >192Kbps. The only decent open source AAC encoder at the moment is fdk-aac.

IMO stick with QAAC.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Destroid
post Aug 2 2013, 10:15
Post #4

Member No.: 2220

I also confirm the previous assessment. I like how AviDemux works as a program and I got the kung-fu to make transcoded excerpts very quickly, but both the AAC audio codecs at rates <96kbps have very obvious artifacts that almost make me feel like an ABX wizard. tongue.gif

Could one actually utilize QAAC/FhgEnc within AviDemux seemlessly? It might be fun to try and definitely worthwhile. Perhaps a conversation with the developer(s). MeGUI I am not acquainted with.

--------------------
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 01:18