IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Not a dev., but I got an idea for a component., In the playlist, right click --> chech with auCDtect ?
Aldem
post May 2 2013, 06:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107103

Hey there !

I was wondering if anyone else though that it would be a good idea.

In the playlist, right-click on the file --> check with auCDtect algorythm.

Now I know that auCDtect is not 100 % precise and you have to be carefull with the results, but sometimes it is spot on.

Anyway, your thoughs ?

Thanks

Alan
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
EpicForever
post May 3 2013, 10:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 93712

Trust your source... Yes, especially when after my complaints they provided proper copy, which clearly implies that initial one was just a reencode. What is funny - while Juno has proper copy now, Beatport still offers that reencode.
Other problem showing that there is serious problem with quality of tracks sold in webshops are crackles/glitches (sounding like those which occur when you rip very scratched CD - NOT like those caused by excessive use of dynamics compressors and limiters), dropouts and the best - selling excerpts from mixes as full tracks. That was my very first purchase at Trackitdown... Fortunately that happened only once, but crackles and dropouts occur even more often than reencodes. And they aren't problems connected with transmission errors - I download EVERY file at least twice and perform MD5 crosschecking between those copies. So it is your choice whether to trust your source or being careful about quality.
You say too many theoretical things about mastering decisions and different tastes. Distortions introduced by mp3 encoding are very specific - I described them above. While I was studying I learned a lot about perceptual coding. We even compared decoded streams from Philips DCC, Sony ATRAC and 192kbps MP3 sources using Audio Precision System Two (APx 525) on labs.
In the end please think about it - what is the probability, that some mastering engineer will use very sharp filter with cut off frequency corresponding exactly to the one that is standard for some mp3 encoding preset? Why he used cut off exactly at 16,5 kHz (128kbps)? Why he did additional "mastering techniques" so the spectrum shows typical mpeg distortions? Why he mastered in this way the file that was intended to be distributed digitally, but he made "normal" mastering for file that was used on mix CD? Yes, those were really strange mastering decisions, his taste is very "varying one"... The answer is that someone made a mistake at some stage of distribution process. I don't know who and on which stage but I know that I don't want to pay for someone else's mistakes. I never expect refunds - I always ask for replacing faulty copies and letting me download it again when they will be available. But this is impossible at Beatport and not always possible at Juno (but it's still better than never). So mostly it ends up on fcuk1ng refund and having fcuk@d up copy of your favorite track. So what I need is to buy nice turntable, soundcard with proper quality analog inputs and serach for vinyls at Discogs... I already started buying some vinyls, turntable is bit more expensive thing so maybe next year... Yeah and soundcard...
Again - it is your choice whether to "trust your source" or being careful about quality. Fake lossless, glitches, dropouts, incomplete tracks - this is what may happen when you use webshops. In case of glitches and dropouts you should be just careful while listening to your music, in case of fake lossless you can help yourself with spectrograms, programs like aucdtect and detailed knowledge. For me foobar, SoX and aucdtect are very powerful tools to analyze such problems.

This post has been edited by EpicForever: May 3 2013, 10:48
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 10:01