Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Burning Audio CDs
Wazaawolf
post Apr 25 2013, 13:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107834

Hello,

I decided to back up all of my CDs, because some of them are getting old or scratched. I'm a newbie to ripping and burning Audio CDs, so some advice will be helpful.

- Which is the best format to use? Will mp3 320kbps do fine? Or can I use 16-bit FLAC or WAV too? Can Audio CDs consisting of FLAC or WAV files be read by CD players?

- I know high speeds increase the probability of errors, but does it affect sound quality?

- What is the difference between cheap, off-brand CD-Rs and more expensive CD-Rs? Is there a difference in chance of errors only, or is there a difference in sound quality too?

- On the internet I read something about Gold, Blue, Black and White CD-Rs. What does this mean, and what is the difference between those different types?

I've searched a lot on the internet to find information, but I this things remained unclear to me. Any answer or a link to an answer would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
db1989
post Apr 25 2013, 18:50
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

QUOTE (Wazaawolf @ Apr 25 2013, 13:18) *
Which is the best format to use? Will mp3 320kbps do fine? Or can I use 16-bit FLAC or WAV too? Can Audio CDs consisting of FLAC or WAV files be read by CD players?

The “best format” is whatever meets your needs according to personal preference, psychoacoustics, and the uses to which you will be putting the files. All of these are addressed by various previous discussions here.

However, that might be a moot point as the format is largely irrelevant for burning back to a standard audio CD: the input files must be decoded to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz PCM in any case, and there are burning programs to handle almost any format. As pdq implied, there is a type of data CD that stores tracks as MP3 files, but that decreases the number of devices on which the CD will work as it is a less supported format. Other formats would just be written as data files, if at all, and that would limit compatibility even further to devices capable of reading the particular format from a generic volume. From your recent reply, I presume you already have your files encoded and are just wanting to decode them to standard audio CDs for the sake of compatibility, in which case, you needn’t worry about formats for these same reasons.

I know high speeds increase the probability of errors, but does it affect sound quality?
For ripping, the question is moot if you follow recommendations and rip in a verifiable manner using AccurateRip or a secure ripping mode. For burning, I imagine using the maximal speed listed on the CD-R is optimal unless something is wrong with the disc or your drive; there’s certainly no evidence of a systemic relationship between speed and quality.

What is the difference between cheap, off-brand CD-Rs and more expensive CD-Rs? Is there a difference in chance of errors only, or is there a difference in sound quality too?
I’ll quote greynol’s signature here: “Everything sounds the same until it is proven otherwise.” In other words, don’t believe the hype unless hard evidence is provided! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 16:16