IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Frontah, multi frontend, big app alternatives?, looking for small but current utility to convert format and keep tags
MrSinatra
post Apr 18 2013, 12:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81386

hi all,

I am looking to convert some well tagged FLACs to mp3, and want it all done nicely, cleanly, by the book, by a little, lightweight app.

I kinda remember frontah and multi-frontend, but they seem old and out of date. I want something smooth and current for win7.

I know MM and fb2k and dbpa and so on are good apps, but I am looking for a small utility, not a big app.

any ideas? thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
slks
post Apr 24 2013, 23:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 29046

ReplayGain tags shouldn't be copied if you are trying to do it "by the book". The decoded MP3 is going to be different from the original FLAC, and will give different numbers in a RG scan. Usually the difference in the gain number is inaudibly small (~0.1 dB or so). But there can be significant differences in the peak values.

foobar2000 has a nice checkbox that will automatically re-scan the output files and give them updated RG tags, in addition to moving the rest of the tags. Looking at my foobar installation it fits these criteria:

Less than 20 MB on disk (including plugins),
Less than 35 MB in memory (even with 10,000 tracks loaded),
Minimalist interface that doesn't bombard you with irrelevant options on the main screen,
A "Portable mode" where it can be used without modifying the registry

If that doesn't fit your definition of "lightweight"... neither should Windows 7 smile.gif

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd December 2014 - 04:50