Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Beginner's step by step guide to setting up Foobar with Last.fm? (Read 35362 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginner's step by step guide to setting up Foobar with Last.fm?

I have been unable to find such a thing.  Can anyone please point me to a source?

Reply #1
Easy.

1. Download foo_audioscrobbler: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_audioscrobbler
2. Unpack to your foobar2000 components-folder.
3. Start foobar2000 and open Preferences > Tools > Audioscrobbler.
4. Enable, then login with your Last.fm credentials and hit OK.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #3
I will suggest installing Softplaylists - it enables for example liking of currently played tracks and playlists based on L.FM statistics.

Audioscrobbler and Softplaylists - both Last.FM related plugins are the only 2 among about 85 (including these from foobar's installer) that I installed in the way that lvqcl linked  . They are the only 2 that are really connected with me as foobar user - they use my own L.FM account, and not my wife's for example. Rest of plugins is multipurpose and doesn't require any kind of personalisation so I install them like in foobar 0.8/0.9 - to foobar2000\components  folder

Reply #4
I like having all .dll-files in one folder rather than lots of sub folders for each.

Each to their own.

Reply #5
1. Download foo_audioscrobbler: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_audioscrobbler
2. Unpack to your foobar2000 components-folder.
3. Start foobar2000 and open Preferences > Tools > Audioscrobbler.
4. Enable, then login with your Last.fm credentials and hit OK.

That is precisely what I've done.  What are steps 5 and 6?

I'm faced with a an open foobar GUI.  There does not appear to be any intuitive (to me anyway) choice to get last.fm up and running.
I've rifled through every single possible option in every drop down menu and found nothing that suggests itself as a portal to last.fm.

Last.fm recognizes foobar.  Foobar recognizes installation of scrobbler 1.4.7.

I click on "scrobble from you music player"  "open foobar" and nothing happens.  Is something supposed to show up suddenly in the foobar gui?

Again.... looking for a primer for a complete BEGINNER.  Every instruction on the web leaves the last steps out.

Reply #6
What do you want to do? If you want to just scrobble - which means send playback statistics - than everything is already done and you don't even need to install separate l.fm app. If you want to like/love tracks and compose playlists based on your statistics then install Softplaylists (3rd party plugin for fb2k). What else you wanna do ? Clicking on some kind of "scrobble button" ?

Reply #7
the foo_audioscrobbler component you have installed does not use/require the last.fm client software. also, the last.fm software isn't compatible with the component you are using. it's completely standalone and all it does is scrobble.

in your first screenshot of the preferences, you have components selected but you need to select tools>audioscrobbler to set your username/password.

Reply #8
What do you want to do?

I want to use Foobar as my music player UI instead of last.fm.  It may be that I have a misunderstanding about foobar's utility or purpose, but I thought that was its main purpose.
Scrolling through the "default UI gallery"  I see many versions of what I want to do.

....as a "minimalist" example. 

So I'm wondering how to get from step 4 above to a user interface that enables me to select songs, choose artists to play, etc.

the foo_audioscrobbler component you have installed does not use/require the last.fm client software. also, the last.fm software isn't compatible with the component you are using. it's completely standalone and all it does is scrobble.

in your first screenshot of the preferences, you have components selected but you need to select tools>audioscrobbler to set your username/password.

I had done that already. 

I have also unselected "allow seeking over http".

So far it seems Iv'e done everything by the book and am still a bit "at sea". 

How to I get to this.....

It's probably embarrassingly simply, but it's escaping me. 

Reply #9
so you haven't even figured out how to play files yet? all this this last.fm stuff has really clouded the issue you're having....

to play files you need to add them to a playlist. you'll want to configure the media library to monitor your music folders so you can browse them from within foobar. look under file>preferences>media library>music folders.

when this is done, you'll want an album list panel and playlist viewer active in your layout. use the view menu>layout>quick setup. choose one of the presets to get yourself started. you should now see your music collection in the album list panel and you can choose how it's arranged by using the view dropdown. either right click nodes and use the send to playlist options or you can simply drag/drop them.

edit: of course you don't have to make foobar monitor your music folders. you can just add files manually by using the various commands found on the file menu or drag/dropping straight from explorer into the playlist panel.

Reply #10
Not sure how much I'm clouding the issue with last.fm.  I have no music on any media beyond CDs.  No files on hardrives, internal, external, or usb.  For the present time I'm only interested in streaming audio from the web, last.fm specifically.

I watched a utube video of foobar being used as a UI for a streaming radio station.  And I realize many stations are set up in different ways.  But in the video he was selecting artists to play by typing them into a text box inside of the foobar UI in the same fashion that one would type an artist into last.fm's text box. 

I'm not even interested in saving to harddrive any library of music and using foobar as cataloging tool to access it.  I only want to use foobar as a far more flexible and cleaner user interface that the last.fm native page.  From what I've seen foobar does a superior job listing artists played and allowing one to re-access later.  It has tools for audio adjustment that www.last.fm lacks.  And according to many many comments I've read on the web, functions more smoothly than www.last.fm's site UI.

So what 'files" and "album lists" associated with last.fm am I to add to my playlist viewer?  Is it really not possible to simply set up foobar so that I an open it and use it as an alternative to www.last.fm's site UI?    Type in Muse or Hot Club Sandwich just start playing?

Reply #11
None, they are all files residing on your computer. It's an advanced audio player, not for any social activities and whatnot.

Audioscrobbler can send statistics for some streaming locations, providing it displays artist, title and duration.

Also, to be able to stream from Last.fm Radio you need their subscription to do so.
And, you'll need to edit some in order to make it work with foobar2000. Read the following post, knock yourself out.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=817465

Reply #12
For the present time I'm only interested in streaming audio from the web, last.fm specifically.

oh yes, that was abundantly clear from all your previous posts.