IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PC -> Toslink -> My Old Receiver, issue Dolby encode licensing
MikeFord
post Mar 30 2013, 09:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14241

Do I need to pick a newer, better card/usb/motherboard toslink output with better support for encoding formats my receiver wants? Toslink required due to distance and bad house wiring making trouble with a common ground like coax or analog.

I'm on my 3rd iteration of MediaPC / HTPC, resisting starting my 4th. The issue is Dolby encoding licenses, and manufacturers not getting them with no end user path. What is my best/cheapest option to getting toslink out with as full of Dolby formats encoding as possible?

My old receiver which I do NOT want to replace anytime soon, is a Sony STR DA3000ES, no HDMI, but both flavors of SPdif coax and toslink with a claimed Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital EX, dts®, dts-ES, dts-ES 96/24, dts: Neo6, Dolby® Pro Logic® II Decoding It seems to work just fine and sound great with DVD player and cable box, but not fully PC.

PC is currently MSI 880GM P51, Win7 64, Foobar2000 , Winmedia and player, but currently focusing on audio and only have Foobar2000 configured. No real support for on board Spdif other than pass thru, so I have added a Diamond XS71DDL card (uses CMI8768+), fussing with drivers right now, but showing 7.12.8.1740 (trying to get newer to actually install/download).

Problem, when I attempt to setup the sound card in the Win7 dialog after selecting digital out via the cmi I get three options; DTS, Dolby Dig, WMA and only Dolby makes any sound and seems limited to two channel. I think this is a license issue regards Diamond Multimedia only supporting DDL.

***Mucho sorry this post is not very clear. Brain was working MUCH better a few hours ago, now very sleepy, but I've been working at it for 6 hours, and at 2am I have to leave the stereo off so I can't test til tomorrow.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 20:42