IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Can I emulate the Aiwa BBE chip in a more modern setup?, [was “Aiwa BBE Chip” in General Audio/TOS #6]
Yaztromo
post Mar 26 2013, 22:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8031

Old user here, haven't posted in a long time.

I really like the sound the BBE chip in my ageing Aiwa produces on the first setting. These amps were never built to last, and it is starting to behave oddly. Forgetting it's settings, or switching itself back on when it is turned off. For an Aiwa its had a good run, but I'm expecting it to fail at some point.

I'm wondering, if there is anyway of producing the same effect as BEE on a more modern amp?

I read up on the supposed problem that BBE is "fixing", but I guess it does not matter to me whether the chip is applying some simple EQ or something more clever, I've just become very fond of the way it alters the sound.

Using EQ in software is not an option, since most of my listening is straight from C64 SID chip or Amiga 1200.

Do "BBE Sonic Maximisers" do the same thing? Are they even made anymore? Maybe I can rescue the chip from the amp when it dies and use it standalone?

I realise most of you probably frown upon colouring the sound like this, but I guess I do not mind as long as I'm enjoying what I hear, and it does sound nice to me laugh.gif

Any advice much appreciated.
John

This post has been edited by Yaztromo: Mar 26 2013, 22:52
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
db1989
post Mar 28 2013, 23:10
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

For reliable answers, I have to defer to more knowledgeable members. However, I decided to do some more simple research on your behalf. emot-cop.gif It seems that connecting unbalanced devices to balanced ones is usually possible but might result in a halving (6 dB loss) of signal and potentially the resulting increased noise floor; however, servo-balanced devices can prevent the loss of signal.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 14:43