Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Create an MP3 cd without gaps (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

Create an MP3 cd without gaps

Hi,

Yeah Im a newbie and probably asking the impossible.

I just picked up my new lease vehicle with the dealer and it was fitted with this cool
navigation and audiosystem. This audio system is capable of reading MP3 instead of
the standard audio format. Rather cool since CD's with MP3 can contain a lot more
than normal cd's.

My problem is however that I converted my entire colletion of Marillion cd's and found
out that when the song steps over into the next one you hear a gap. This is terrible
because every Marillion song blends into the next one.

I have read a lot on forums and they only speak about the situation when people burn
them back to an audio CD. I want to have them as a MP3 cd without the gaps.

Is that technically possible or is that one of the downsides of MP3?

The car audio a cd70 supports "Motion Pictures Experts Group Audio Layer 3"

Reply #1
AFAIK, no hardware mp3 players, except for the iPod g5, g5.5 and the iPod Nano 2g can play gapless. You must encode the entire album as one mp3 to achieve this (use e.g. foobar for that). Obviously, you cannot skip between songs, but at least it will play gapless.

Reply #2
Can you not burn with burnatonce and select the "no two second gap" option?  Same with Nero.  Wouldn't that worK???   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
I want to have them as a MP3 cd without the gaps.

Bojum, you didn't read his post closely. Burning mp3 on 'data CDs' gives no such options unfortunately.

Reply #4
I assume you talk about those little annoying gaps and not the 2-second gaps.
There is only one possibility to have gapless playback with MP3:

1) The MP3s have a LAME tag, which tells the decoder "where the gaps are".
2) The decoder supports LAME tags.

Both those requirements have to be fulfilled.

Try to encode some tracks with LAME and play them back on your audio system. If you are lucky it works.

If that does not work and you are really desperate buy a DAP that supports gapless playback (iPods, or any other rockbox'able unit), and connect them to the line in of your car radio. If the car doesn't have a line in, buy a FM transmitter. The downside is the audio quality will suffer when using a FM transmitter. But at least it'll be gapless then. 

Reply #5
An alternative could be to encode an entire album as one mp3 file. Downside of this procedure will be that you can't skip to the next track easily. Exactly this is what I did with Marillion's  'Misplaced Childhood' CD, of which you can't really listen to separate tracks imo.