Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC read error, sync error (Read 16109 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC read error, sync error

Hello.  I've tried looking for answers to this but haven't come up with any solid answers.  I've started ripping my CD collection with EAC and I'm about 12 CDs in and have already encountered 2 CDs where EAC gives read and sync errors on one or 2 tracks.  Neither CD has visible damage, both play just fine in a CD player and as best as I can tell, the rips sound just fine at the suspicious positions.  One of the 2 discs was in AccurateRip and the track with the error could not be verified, but the log file stated that CUETools could repair the rip (incidentally, is this recommended and, if so, how do you do it?); the other disc was not in AccurateRip. I've tried 3 different computers with 3 different drives and I've also tried XLD on Mac with one of the discs and I never got an error-free rip.  Since the CDs appear pristine and sound fine in a CD player I'm just wondering what could be causing the read and sync errors, and if there is anything else I could do to try to get an error-free rip or if I should just move on.  Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Since it appears pristine but won't rip on any drive you've tried, the disc probably has a manufacturing defect that exceeds the capability of the disc's built-in error correction system. When the player or ripper encounters the trouble spots, it's fudging the audio data as best it can, and in this case it's close enough to be listenable. Some players and drives will be more tolerant of this disc than others. You can try experimenting with the ripper's settings; e.g., burst mode, and don't let the drive slow down... but in my experience, if several drives won't rip it, there's not much you can do.

In CUETools, make sure the input mode is Folder Browser. http://cuetools.net/wiki/CUETools_Settings may be of some help here; you need to avoid "batch mode" which CUETools won't tell you is enabled. Navigate to the .cue file (I think a drag'n'drop of the file will also navigate there automatically), and choose Encode action with the "repair" script selected (not "default") and also choose the output format you want. If the rip can be repaired using a correction file submitted to CTDB by someone who ripped the same pressing, you'll be prompted accordingly. The original rip won't be touched; CUETools will write to whatever output folder is set (usually My Music/Converted/...).

Reply #2
Well that's shitty.  Thanks for the response.  I'll try CUETools with the one disc and since the other has no noticeable issues I'll just have to try to forget about the error lurking in the log file. I might give burst mode a shot too.

Reply #3
as best as I can tell, the rips sound just fine at the suspicious positions...

...I'll just have to try to forget about the error lurking in the log file.
Yeah...  Since you can't hear any defects, try not to worry about it!   I don't remember which of my CDs had inaudible errors when I ripped them.   

Neither CD has visible damage...
You can't always see the damage/defect, and CDs can be easily damaged from the top.  The data-layer is on the top and the CD is read through the full thickness of the polycarbonate.  (The data-layer on a DVD is in the middle, and it's on the bottom of a Blu-Ray under a thin protective layer.)

...both play just fine in a CD player and as best as I can tell
CD players (and player software) tend to be better at error-hiding than ripping software.

P.S.
If CueTools can repair the rip, you might want to burn a new copy of the CD or keep a FLAC archive.

Reply #4
If CueTools can repair the rip, you might want to burn a new copy of the CD or keep a FLAC archive.

Good call.  Thanks!