Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could 32-bit Float End the Loudness War? (Read 30875 times) previous topic - next topic

Could 32-bit Float End the Loudness War?

Like I said in another thread, it's what the client has asked for. I can advise on good sound/best practice, but at the end of the day it's their baby, not mine.

The problem is: The artists also want better sound, at least that's what they are telling everybody. They gray haired ones as well as the younger ones.

In practice, most of them still choose loudness over sound quality. How can this be explained other than as being hypocrisy on steroids?

And to add insult to injury, they then proceed to blame something or somebody who hasn't got the minutest thing to do with it. MP3, the CD, and with it their developers.

The only thing that's wrong with MP3 or the CD is that it distorts badly when overdriven. Duh!

The blunt truth is that the artists, producers etc. want to have the orgy without the hangover, i.e. the loudness without the distortion. And they blame everyone else for not getting it.

And, I have to say that in the presence of a mastering engineer (whom I don't want to attack personally - I'm having a go at the craft in general, and particularly some figureheads there): I don't like the way a number of mastering engineers present themselves as the super-audiophiles, the guardians of good sound, while simultaneously producing the opposite. Granted, they have to make a buck, and whoever pays will have it his way. But if somebody mounts the pulpit, he should live what he preaches, or he will be rightly accused of hypocrisy. And I have seen too many hypocrites amongst the mastering engineers.

There you have it. 

Whatever solution there may be for this, it will have to account for the business forces in this market, and find a way to counteract them. Appeals don't help, as we have seen. The dynamic range promotion groups are largely a failure, because they have nothing in their armory that can oppose the force of money. They are in constant danger of turning into a self-promotion platform for hypocrites.

Sorry for the rant - it wanted out urgently. 

A more constructive note: We need a distribution format that doesn't have a clipping limit. Lets give the loudness warriers a free run, and remove the barrier they have been banging their heads against for decades. This will practically force the issue of normalizing tools in end-user devices. It is a way to make it worse in order for it to get better. As long as we have the ubiquitous clipping barrier at 0dBFS, the pain is not great enough to include loudness control in end user devices, but if the distribution format doesn't clip anymore, it soon will.

Reply #1
A more constructive note: We need a distribution format that doesn't have a clipping limit. Lets give the loudness warriers a free run, and remove the barrier they have been banging their heads against for decades. This will practically force the issue of normalizing tools in end-user devices. It is a way to make it worse in order for it to get better. As long as we have the ubiquitous clipping barrier at 0dBFS, the pain is not great enough to include loudness control in end user devices, but if the distribution format doesn't clip anymore, it soon will.

Isn't 32-bit float the new up-and-coming audiophile format anyway?

Reply #2

Is it? Perhaps I'm a bit behind. Does the Pono player understand it? Which streaming services offer content in 32-bit float?

We will be there once the mastering services deliver their product in 32-bit float. I wonder what it takes to get the industry there.

Reply #3

PCM is so yesterday "Enter the world of 5.6MHz DSD for an immersive concert hall experience"
Korg
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #7
That might have something to do with Sony having jumped on the HRA bandwagon. But I see no sign of 32-bit float being supported anywhere.

Reply #8

This doesn't work. Normalized float would still be +/-1.0 = 0 dBFS, and nobody in his right mind would hard clip to that. So any gain that the mastering engineer adds above 0 dBFS would be pointless, since it would be reverted at the consumer.

What we need is the industry to agree on a certain loudness target, for example -18 LUFS (like ReplayGain uses). And before that can happen we need to enable ReplayGain in all players..
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #9
This doesn't work. Normalized float would still be +/-1.0 = 0 dBFS, and nobody in his right mind would hard clip to that. So any gain that the mastering engineer adds above 0 dBFS would be pointless, since it would be reverted at the consumer.

Sensible normalization in the consumer's device would not just clip at +/- 1. The most sensible implementation of a consumer device would apply loudness processing and volume control before clipping to +/- 1.0.

That means of course that any gain the mastering engineer could have added would indeed be reverted in the consumer device, but before clipping, and hence without the associated damage. That is exactly the point. Adding gain is pointless in the presence of loudness control in the consumer device. The question is how to force the market to adopt loudness control in consumer devices on such a large scale, that they become dominant. At that point the loudness war is over, because it has become pointless.

What we need is the industry to agree on a certain loudness target, for example -18 LUFS (like ReplayGain uses). And before that can happen we need to enable ReplayGain in all players..

As soon as a majority agrees on such a target, there is a heightened incentive for someone to violate it. Louder than everything else still rules, and will dominate every agreement you could possibly negotiate.

You need to create an environment in which the violator of the rules gets punished. You could try to do that with laws, but that won't work well in a globalized market. And even nationally, you'd probably end up with a law that plays into the hands of industry lobbyists more than the consumer.

The idea is to remove the barrier imposed by the format and let the market forces play in a constructive way. Removing the 0dBFS barrier will allow mastering engineers to keep the peaks without sacrificing loudness, and of course they will exceed +/-1.0 in the process. With floating point, there's no harm in that. Some will no doubt also use the opportunity to make their product even louder. Which means that the loudness war will go wild. With the barrier removed, the quest will not be for that last 0.1dB that can be squeezed out without turning everything into unintelligible white noise. The loudness will quickly advance in full dB steps again, but this time without haircutting the peaks.

Pretty soon everybody will want automatic level control in their playback device, because the loudness jumps between titles would otherwise be unbearable. Nowadays ReplayGain or other such systems are a convenience. With floating point audio, and the resulting accelerated loudness war, they will become a necessity. The industry will compete over which system is best. And this is also good, because the mastering engineers won't have a single system to optimize for, for they would want to trick it.

A that point, increasing the loudness at the mastering end will simply be pointless, and it will be the market forces themselves which drive the situation in that direction.

To add another thought, or rather an incomplete analogy:

The rigid 0dBFS barrier didn't exist in analog audio. Analog also has its level limits, but they differ in three ways from those encountered in digital audio:
  • The clipping level differs between different pieces of gear. Potentially by a significant amount.
  • The clipping is not as hard as with digital audio, and hence produces less energy in the higher harmonics.
  • The ultrasonic harmonics don't alias down into the audible band.

In the case of vinyl, there is no hard limit anyway. The limits are imposed by the mechanics of the system, and if you want your product to sound louder, you sacrifice playing time, and at some point your record becomes unplayable because the needle will leave the groove. On some players that happens sooner than on others. Those are "soft" and "fuzzy" limits, which is why they are less damaging in the face of a loudness war.

I believe that this is why the loudness war had such desastrous consequences on the sound quality on the digital side, but less so on the analog side. Having a hard clipping limit which is exactly at the same level everywhere, has the worst consequences. It creates the market potential for technical trickery that wrestles the last bit of loudness out of this situation. Making the clipping level less well defined reduces the effectivity of such technical trickery.

I'm sure that many engineers saw it as a feature, not a problem, that digital audio has such a well defined level limit. It helps compatibility between gear, as you can interconnect arbitrary devices and expect them to cope. This was not so with analog, where one device potentially produces an output signal that will overdrive the following device. But what is good in the studio is not necessarily good in the distribution chain. In this case, an improvement in the studio turned out to help creating a disaster in distribution.

Reply #10
There aren't any widely adopted floating point ADCs or DACs around, that would kind of scupper things, no?

Reply #11
There aren't any widely adopted floating point ADCs or DACs around, that would kind of scupper things, no?

I don't see why. You don't necessarily feed the signal from a stream directly into a DAC, do you? A streaming receiver (or whatever playback device the consumer is using) can convert easily from floating point to fixed point before feeding the DAC. After loudness processing, that is. ReplayGain, or whatever other system you use for equalizing loudness, works on the digital side of things, doesn't it?

And ADCs don't come into the picture at all, since we're talking distribution, not recording.

Reply #12

I don't see why. You don't necessarily feed the signal from a stream directly into a DAC, do you?

You do if you actually want to listen to it. Didn't want to start an argument. If it's gonna end up as fixed point when you hear it, I was just wondering what the advantage of 32bit float as a distribution medium would be. Genuinely interested to know.

Reply #13
Well, I guess your customers are individual artists.
But it is understandable that even they want a master that is as loud as similar recordings, which can mean loads of compression. It's a vicious circle.

I said this many times before, the solution to this is ReplayGain enabled by default in the major audio players (soft- and hardware). Punish loud tracks.

I would not buy a player that uses ReplayGain.

Reply #14
@perlmazo:
You don't need floating point for that.
Getting the point of lower loudness across should be hard enough. Adding a new sample format on top of that will make the acceptance virtually impossible.

As soon as a majority agrees on such a target, there is a heightened incentive for someone to violate it. Louder than everything else still rules, and will dominate every agreement you could possibly negotiate.

No, because ReplayGain in the device would automatically punish everything louder than the target.

At this point the target would not be agreed upon to reduce loudness per se but to ensure enough headroom for dynamics. Sure, you can squish the waveform and compress the sh*t out of it as an artistic choice, but at the consumer an e.g. -8 LUFS track would then be punished by -10 dB gain (to reach the -18 LUFS target). You'd get a squished wall of sound that would just be as soft as a much more dynamic track.

Removing the 0dBFS barrier will allow mastering engineers to keep the peaks without sacrificing loudness, and of course they will exceed +/-1.0 in the process. With floating point, there's no harm in that.

This doesn't work. You cannot preserve the peaks and increase loudness. At the consumer the audio has to be normalized to +/-1.0 so if the engineer keeps the peaks above 1.0 it will cause low volume during playback due to normalization.
Unless you have something like ReplayGain, the engineers would still simply squish the waveform and limit it to +/-1.0.

I'm sure that many engineers saw it as a feature, not a problem, that digital audio has such a well defined level limit.

It IS a feature.
Instead of fuzzy limits you get clean sound all the way up to the limit. The problem comes with the abuse, which could have been prevented with a common loudness target in the past. With that we wouldn't even need ReplayGain nowadays.

Reply #16
You do if you actually want to listen to it.

Why would you want to listen to the exact format of the distribution medium? Practically every playback device does some processing of the data before it hits the DAC. A CD player needs to do some decoding and error correction, at the very least. An MP3 player also decodes the data first, before sending it to the DAC. Additionally, any amount of processing may take place, starting with volume. So what is wrong with the minimal amount of processing to adjust the level of a floating point signal to the desired volume, and then convert it to fixed point for conversion to analog?

Didn't want to start an argument. If it's gonna end up as fixed point when you hear it, I was just wondering what the advantage of 32bit float as a distribution medium would be. Genuinely interested to know.

I thought I had explained just that. I seem to have failed. The removal of the 0dBFS limit, remember? Once the signal is under the consumer's control, the consumer can adjust the level to his own liking (by using manual volume controls or by using automatic level equalization software) and then convert to fixed point safely.

To put the salient point in other words: The difference is that the clipping isn't done on the producer end, it is done (or better: avoided) on the consumer end. To make that possible requires a different distribution format. There's no sonic reason for it. There's no direct improvement of sound quality associated with it. All improvement comes from the fact that control over the playback level is taken away from the producer and put in the hands of the consumer, where it should be. This removes a dilemma from the mastering engineer: The need to compromise between loudness and dynamic range.

I don't know how to make it any clearer. Try to separate the distribution format from the format that gets sent to the DAC. They serve different purposes, and you can design each format according to the requirements of the situation. That has given rise to MP3 a long time ago, because there was a need to save storage and communication capacity - and hardly a DAC has been built that understands it directly. Converting between such formats is not a significant problem. Now the goal is not to save data any more, it is to combat the loudness war. I would be happy to send an 8-bit exponent that serves no sonic purpose, if it robs the content producers of their main reason to compress their product to death.

Reply #17
I thought I had explained just that. I seem to have failed. The removal of the 0dBFS limit, remember? Once the signal is under the consumer's control, the consumer can adjust the level to his own liking (by using manual volume controls or by using automatic level equalization software) and then convert to fixed point safely.

To put the salient point in other words: The difference is that the clipping isn't done on the producer end, it is done (or better: avoided) on the consumer end. To make that possible requires a different distribution format.

I still don't even see why.

Dynamic range compression isn't hard clipping and hard clipping should be avoided, so you will at least need normalization. The result is identical to our current situation, except that you need extra processing power.

Reply #18
if it robs the content producers of their main reason to compress their product to death.

You failed to explain this: why the producers will not compress audio?

Reply #19
You don't need floating point for that.
Getting the point of lower loudness across should be hard enough. Adding a new sample format on top of that will make the acceptance virtually impossible.

You don't understand. With floating point, the content producers don't have to be convinced of lower loudness. With floating point, they can go over 1.0, and have more loudness if they want. For them, it is the removal of a previous restriction. Plus they can have what they pretend to have wanted all along: Good sound and more loudness at the same time. The orgy without the hangover. You see: All pluses, no minus!

The consumer also wins: He gets the unsquashed product with good sound quality (if the producer so wishes), albeit at a possibly too high playback level. That's easy to correct: He turns down the level. If he's annoyed by having to do that, he'll use ReplayGain or something similar. That'll help to make automatic loudness control systems ubiquitous. I hope it is not going to be ReplayGain only. A competition for the best system is good here, too. That's a competition the market can conduct without any cooperation from the content producers.

No, because ReplayGain in the device would automatically punish everything louder than the target.

Yes, but you'd need to make ReplayGain ubiquitous before, and there currently isn't enough incentive for that, because the 0dBFS limit achieves a kind of level matching already, albeit at the cost of a lot of distortion. People will only convert to ReplayGain in masses once the levels of the different titles they listen to vary to such a degree, that it becomes a pain in the bottom part of the back.

At this point the target is not agreed upon to reduce loudness per se but to ensure enough headroom for dynamics. Sure, you can squish the waveform and compress the sh*t out of it as an artistic choice, but at the consumer an e.g. -8 LUFS track would then be punished by -10 dB gain (to reach the -18 LUFS target). You'd get squished sound that would be just as loud as a much more dynamic track.

This means that you have to agree an amount of headroom that is valid for everyone. That is going to be a tough one to agree on. With floating point, that's entirely unnecessary. The distribution format has almost infinite headroom. That means the distribution format disappears as a factor from the equation. Isn't that greatly superior?

This doesn't work. You cannot preserve the peaks and increase loudness. At the consumer the audio has to be normalized to +/-1.0 so if the engineer keeps the peaks above 1.0 it will cause low volume during playback due to normalization.

No, the consumer simply turns the volume up or down according to his preference, either manually or automatically. That's an operation that still uses floating point, so nothing is lost. Only then the conversion to fixed point, and therefore the clipping to +/- 1.0, takes place. It depends on the consumer's playback system where this clipping point is relative to the overall loudness. The content producer has nothing to do with it anymore.

Unless you have something like ReplayGain, the engineers would still simply squish the waveform and limit to +/-1.0.

I don't see why they would. They can't anticipate what volume the consumer would choose. They gain nothing from clipping at 1.0 at their end.

Instead of fuzzy limits you get clean sound all the way up to the limit.

Yes, and you get everybody banging their heads against that limit in the quest for the loudest record ever. At the expense of clean sound.

The problem comes with the abuse, which could have been prevented with a common loudness target in the past. With that we wouldn't even need ReplayGain nowadays.

We had that target more or less informally at the beginning of the CD era. The loudness war has done away with that. The lesson is that no scheme will work that relies on the content producers sticking to the rules. They won't. It is not in their interest. So yes, the problem comes with the abuse. We all know. But that doesn't make it go away.

Dynamic range compression isn't hard clipping and hard clipping should be avoided, so you will at least need normalization. The result is identical to our current situation, except that you need extra processing power.

It is not identical, because it doesn't happen at the same point in the distribution chain, and therefore not controlled by the same people and interests. Don't you see the difference between normalization done by the mastering engineer, and normalization done by the consumer?

Reply #20
You failed to explain this: why the producers will not compress audio?

If they want to do it for sonic reasons, they will of course continue to compress, and so they should. Compression for the sake of making the record louder will be unnecessary, however. They can just make the record louder with the volume knob. So why should they do something that makes the sound worse and is unnecessary?

Reply #21
With floating point, they can go over 1.0, and have more loudness if they want.

They cannot, because they know that this floating point format will be converted to an integer one, with a fixed 0 dBFS level.

The consumer also wins: He gets the unsquashed product with good sound quality (if the producer so wishes), albeit at a possibly too high playback level.

Either "good sound quality" or "too high playback level": the consumer converts this "distribution format" to a format that a DAC understands, and "too high playback level" will result in clipping all over the place.

Yes, but you'd need to make ReplayGain ubiquitous before, and there currently isn't enough incentive for that, because the 0dBFS limit achieves a kind of level matching already, albeit at the cost of a lot of distortion.

Your floating point format will be converted to an integer format with just the same 0dBFS limit. The limit is still there.

Reply #22
You don't understand. With floating point, the content producers don't have to be convinced of lower loudness. With floating point, they can go over 1.0, and have more loudness if they want. For them, it is the removal of a previous restriction. Plus they can have what they pretend to have wanted all along: Good sound and more loudness at the same time. The orgy without the hangover. You see: All pluses, no minus!

I don't think you have thought this one through.
If we want to prevent clipping then we cannot have more loudness until we reach the +/-1.0 limit which would e.g. translate into +/-2^23 for 24 bit integer. We've also established before that any linear gain is pointless because it will be reversed at the consumer.
So lower loudness is exactly what enables engineers to use less compression.

The consumer also wins: He gets the unsquashed product with good sound quality (if the producer so wishes), albeit at a possibly too high playback level. That's easy to correct: He turns down the level. If he's annoyed by having to do that, he'll use ReplayGain or something similar. That'll help to make automatic loudness control systems ubiquitous. I hope it is not going to be ReplayGain only. A competition for the best system is good here, too. That's a competition the market can conduct without any cooperation from the content producers.

That's not how it works.
The loudness war works by assuming that the listener is lazy (which is true) and will NOT touch the volume control. It is assumed that a louder track/commercial/whatever following a quieter one will draw more attention.
With floating point you did exactly nothing. After normalization, a hypercompressed track will be very loud exactly as it is now.

It has to be one standard only, such as EBU R-128 (which ReplayGain 2.0 implements), otherwise adjusting gain during playback will not work across devices, or it will but not consistently.

Yes, but you'd need to make ReplayGain ubiquitous before, and there currently isn't enough incentive for that, because the 0dBFS limit achieves a kind of level matching already, albeit at the cost of a lot of distortion. People will only convert to ReplayGain in masses once the levels of the different titles they listen to vary to such a degree, that it becomes a pain in the bottom part of the back.

I listen to metal and some classical ... so yeah.
But that is not the only incentive. The main incentive would be to improve sound quality by automatically punishing dynamic range compressed tracks.

This means that you have to agree an amount of headroom that is valid for everyone. That is going to be a tough one to agree on. With floating point, that's entirely unnecessary. The distribution format has almost infinite headroom. That means the distribution format disappears as a factor from the equation. Isn't that greatly superior?

1) It is already (being) agreed upon in broadcasting. See Austrian, German broadcasters for example.
2) With floating point, if you actually think it through, it is everything BUT unnecessary unless you don't want to change anything about the current situation.

No, the consumer simply turns the volume up or down according to his preference, either manually or automatically. That's an operation that still uses floating point, so nothing is lost. Only then the conversion to fixed point, and therefore the clipping to +/- 1.0, takes place. It depends on the consumer's playback system where this clipping point is relative to the overall loudness. The content producer has nothing to do with it anymore.

See above. It doesn't work and I said many times already that clipping should be avoided, hence any extra gain is reverted and therefore pointless.

I don't see why they would. They can't anticipate what volume the consumer would choose. They gain nothing from clipping at 1.0 at their end.

The consumer sets a comfortable volume for track A. Then track B comes along which would be compressed more than A and therefore louder. That's why. Welcome to the loudness war.

Yes, and you get everybody banging their heads against that limit in the quest for the loudest record ever. At the expense of clean sound.

And floating point doesn't change that ...

We had that target more or less informally at the beginning of the CD era. The loudness war has done away with that. The lesson is that no scheme will work that relies on the content producers sticking to the rules. They won't. It is not in their interest. So yes, the problem comes with the abuse. We all know. But that doesn't make it go away.

That's why you need to punish on the consumer side with ReplayGain.

It is not identical, because it doesn't happen at the same point in the distribution chain, and therefore not controlled by the same people and interests. Don't you see the difference between normalization done by the mastering engineer, and normalization done by the consumer?

No, these things are completely different technically.
Look up compressor, limiter and hard clipping.

I AM advocating for automatic normalization at the consumer, but primarily by loudness and not full-scale.

Reply #23
He's proposing a paradigm shift where float is converted to integer after distribution and after mandarory loudness equalization.

I could see this only happening in software if it were ever going to become a reality with all the existing hardware.  I'd hate to see a doubling of data foisted on the consumer for a scheme that will likely never be implemented correctly, however.

We're already being sold on 24/192 with less than a glimmer of hope it will end the loudness war. I can see a future push to 32 bit, but not one that takes control away from the content creators.

Reply #24
He's proposing a paradigm shift where float is converted to integer after distribution and after mandarory loudness equalization.

Which makes little sense, considering the dynamic range that 24 bit offers. Heck even 16 bit..