Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3gain (Read 3196 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3gain

well, i've downloaded the 1.2.5 version of mp3gain. I've also read many posts about mp3gain in this site and also have made a research of my own. The thing is that i still haven't understood what are the features of this prog.
Ok, there are 2-3 guides in HA but they cover only a little. Google also hasn't come up with strightforward results. Pex, what is the main difference between album gain and track gain??

Can anyone give me a complete guide?

I'm terribly sorry if i offended anyone but i'm a newbie to this prog and i think mp3gain will help me a lot since i have my entire collection to mp3 format.

thanks in advance
Heavy Metal Is the Law!!!
---Let 'Em Eat Metal---

mp3gain

Reply #1
trackgain ~ modifies all songs so they sound equally loud, disregarding the dynamics of an album.

albumgain ~ modifies all songs to bring them nearer to set dB, keeping the dynamics of an album.

the MP3Gain help inside the app covers all this.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

mp3gain

Reply #2
Actually yes, it was pretty straightforward. Thanks mate.

If I have understood well, someone can use trackgain if they want to put mp3s to portable while albumgain for their ripped mp3s at the pc.

Of course this is my assumption and i think i will stick to it. Anyway, i have figured out how exactly this prog works.
---Let 'Em Eat Metal---

mp3gain

Reply #3
If I have understood well, someone can use trackgain if they want to put mp3s to portable while albumgain for their ripped mp3s at the pc.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302412"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't see how you can reach such a conclusion.
Album gain is used on a set of MP3s that make an album, where you want to preserve the differences in volume levels between the tracks. In contrast, Track Gain is to be used on a bunch of unrelated tracks you want to bring to the same volume level at once.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: typo[/span]

mp3gain

Reply #4
Just use album gain, all the time. Track gain is kinda silly because it makes songs which are supposed to be loud quiet, and vice versa. By using album gain, songs will all still be around the same volume, but albums will keep their dynamics when listened to by themselves (quiet tracks stay quiet, vice versa).

I guess if I were JUST making a mix CD I might use track gain, but even then, I find a bunch of tracks for different albums, album gained, tend to work pretty well together.

mp3gain

Reply #5
I see......

I'm happy to talk to you again since my pc breakdown.

[OFFTOPIC]
---Let 'Em Eat Metal---

mp3gain

Reply #6
Just use album gain, all the time. Track gain is kinda silly because it makes songs which are supposed to be loud quiet, and vice versa. By using album gain, songs will all still be around the same volume, but albums will keep their dynamics when listened to by themselves (quiet tracks stay quiet, vice versa).
I can't see how it it silly to use trackgain. there are some users that report huge differences (15 to 20dB) when using albumgain. and you prolly don't want these differences when listening to your portable to avoid having to use the volume knob all the time or a mix CD. I'm sure I don't want it anyhow.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)