Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any software for renaming files to use with hardware players (Read 5145 times) previous topic - next topic

Any software for renaming files to use with hardware players

I recently got a portable mp3 player as a present and after realizing that playlist files are not supported, I started spending a LOT of time renaming my mp3 files so that they would play in a specific order. that is, I rename song.mp3 to 001_song.mp3 and so on, because the player lists and plays them alphabeticaly. I was wondering if I can find somewhere a program that can accept a list of filenames, arrange them in the preferred order and then copy them to a folder with sequential numbering in front of the original filename. Has anyone come across such a program? Am I weird or there are more people with the same problem? Right now I spend more time preparing my music files  for the player than listening to them! 
(no,getting a decent player is not an option right now  )
Thank you for your time, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PlaStiK
So much music, so little time...

Reply #2
Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks a lot to rjamorim for such a quick reply
Now I'm off to burn my (renamed) mp3 cd's
Cheers!
So much music, so little time...

Reply #3
Windows Commander has a built in multi-file rename tool with an option to include a sequential number.
BTW I would recommend WC as a modern NC clone anyway (uncrippled shareware).
Windows Commander

Reply #4
i don't like windows commander. to me, $28 is too much for a filemanager. 2xExplorer (http://netez.com/2xExplorer/) is a free dualpane explorer, and it's fairly powerful. it can batch rename (actually just a batch generator), but i don't think that it'd do what PlaStiK needs, cause you'd have to get it in the order you wanted first, and then it'd already be in the order you wanted it in... in any case, there are plenty of renamers that can do it for free, as rjamorin has pointed out. i don't see why one should pay for something that is already offered freely.

Reply #5
G6 Renamer is the slickest and most useful renaming software I've ever used. I'm sure it can handle just about any naming scheme you can throw at it.

Reply #6
Originally posted by Negative Zero
G6 Renamer is the slickest and most useful renaming software I've ever used. I'm sure it can handle just about any naming scheme you can throw at it.

It supports VQF. YAY!

And it shareware.  $10
"This version is a shareware version, it means all features are available but you can run Renamer only 15 times if you're not registered"

I would still go with FlashRen. 100% freeware.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #7
I have been trying to find a renaming program that will allow me to do these two things:

1) Rename the folder that contains mp3 according to the tags of them in this format "Artist - Album Title"...of course all mp3 will have the same artist/album title.

2) Rename a certain file (of specific kind...for instance .txt file) that "sits" inside a folder to the name of the latter and do that recursively.

Anyone knows if such a program exists or any idea about how I can achive this easily and automatically?

Thank you in advance

Reply #8
Originally posted by bluewer than blue
I have been trying to find a renaming program that will allow me to do these two things:

1) Rename the folder that contains mp3 according to the tags of them in this format "Artist - Album Title"...of course all mp3 will have the same artist/album title.

2) Rename a certain file (of specific kind...for instance .txt file) that "sits" inside a folder to the name of the latter and do that recursively.

Anyone knows if such a program exists or any idea about how I can achive this easily and automatically?

Thank you in advance

Seem very specific requests.

Maybe you should give it a try at the renamers mentioned in this thread. Most of them are absurdly packed with features. Worst of cases, some even accept scripting. (Although I think FlashRen doesn't)

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #9
Search for 'batch' in this forum. This should turn up with some batch files that do about the stuff you need; you'll have to adapt them a little, but shouldn't be any problem I guess..

Reply #10
Forgot one very important issue as well (at least for me): To be able to specify (through a plain .txt file probably) certain words that you need to change (replace with others or even delete). It seems that G6 Renamer does that, but only with files and one at a time. I've used Flash Renamer in the past and it is a quite capable program, but it lacks these features (as everything else I've tried). I'll do the "batch" search right now and see if I find something useful. Thanks

Reply #11
I think I eventually found the most complete renaming program for the time being: Magic File Renamer 5.02 http://doodu.tripod.com/

It does everything the other prorgams do and more. The best feature for me was the solution to one of my demands: A string replacement list (a plain .txt file as I was expecting).

It certainly worths the 15$...it offers a fully functional, limited to 100 uses, demo,

Reply #12
Originally posted by rjamorim

It supports VQF. YAY!

And it shareware.  
"This version is a shareware version, it means all features are available but you can run Renamer only 15 times if you're not registered"

I would still go with FlashRen. 100% freeware.

Regards;

Roberto.

There's a simple way to reset the usage counter by deleting a certain registry entry, but I don't think it would be wise to post such details in public. I really wouldn't mind paying to register the software, but as far as I can tell, their ordering pages are only in French.