Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Building A Component Stereo System (Read 8877 times) previous topic - next topic

Building A Component Stereo System

Reply #25
lexor:

To double the power when the resistance halves is not a feature, is just Ohm's law, and will happen in every power amplifier. The thing is that if the amp is not designed to drive very low loads, it will distort too much or even run into overload protection muting.

Reply #26
To double the power when the resistance halves is not a feature, is just Ohm's law, and will happen in every power amplifier.

That's true, but very few amplifiers outside of the high end actually perform this well and almost all of them have power ratings that are considerably less than double as you halve the speaker's impedance. I don't think it's too much of an issue though, unless you're driving a particularly difficult speaker. Get one that's reasonably efficient and 6 or 8 ohms nominal impedance and any amp will do just fine.

I also don't think that power ratings that double when resistance is halved necessarily indicate better sound except in rare instances where your speaker dips down under 2 ohms or something. It's a nice feature (it can be considered a feature as few amps can maintain rated power/distortion figures while impedance halves) to have but not something that would influence my purchase. I would be mainly concerned with watts/channel and low IM distortion. Most modern amps perform great in other areas like frequency response, s/n ratio, etc.

The bottom line is that pretty much any of the amplifier brands listed here will perform acceptably well in Agent69's future system.

Edit: spelling

Reply #27
I have uploaded an interesting bit about this from the Nubert catalogue. Nubert Speaker Factory is a german company that only does house-to-house distribution, in Germany and also in the EU. They won every award from the german hi-fi press at least once.

4_vs_8.jpg

They tested several speakers for compliance with DIN and IEC norms, the stated nominal impedance must not fall short of 20% at no frequency. Since about 10 years, manufacturers of amplifiers pay attention that speakers with too low resistance don't cause harm to the amp. But maybe because of that, some speaker manufacturers just relabeled their speakers from 4 Ohm to 8 Ohm, and in fact it's hard to find "real" 8 Ohm speakers! But if they would rebuild their speakers to real 8 Ohm, they would waste 30 to 40% of the power of 4 Ohm amps, and would be rated a lot worse when directly compared to 4 Ohm speakers in a review.

On the right, you have several impedance graphs over frequency:

1) their own speaker, stated 4 Ohm, minimum 3.49 Ohm

2) speaker of a known german company, stated 4-8 Ohm, minimum 3.49 Ohm -> standard 4 Ohm speaker

3) speaker of a known english company, stated 8 Ohm, minimum 3.17 Ohm, allowed minimum would be 6.4 Ohm -> no real 8 Ohm speaker

4) speaker of another well-known english company, stated 8 Ohm, minimum 3.36 Ohm -> no real 8 Ohm speaker

5) speaker of a well-known japanese company, stated 8 Ohm, minimum 6.59 Ohm -> real 8 Ohm speaker

Reply #28
To double the power when the resistance halves is not a feature, is just Ohm's law, and will happen in every power amplifier. The thing is that if the amp is not designed to drive very low loads, it will distort too much or even run into overload protection muting.

I did say it comes from basic physics, didn't I? and I did point out that if power not delivered there should occur a distortion. And as a feature I called the ability of the amp to give up enough power. not the Ohm's law.

anyway since almost any stereo receiver (in thread's author's price range) will have a good enough amp, we really should stop this, and come up with some more suggestions.

as for suggestion: I would look at bookshelf speakers of Paradigm, B&W, Yamaha.
receiver: maybe a cheapie model of NAD.
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #29
I'm in the process of building a component stereo system, too.  I originally planned on buying a DVD/VCD/MP3 all-in-one everything player until I discovered you had to step through the mp3's one at a time.  If you had 85 mp3's on the CD and wanted to hear the 85th one, you had to push a button 85 times to get to the song you wanted to hear....

However, I found that Sony makes their CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3 decks so that a  subdirectory of MP3s on a CD is equivalent to an album.  They have an Album Button to step through the subdirectories (albums), along with the normal buttons to scroll through the playlist.  In addition, they also have a large display on the front of the deck that scrolls the subdirectory name and the song so you don't need a monitor or TV.  They also can read the CD-Text of an audio cd.

Of the various decks I tested, all of the Sony units were more reliable reading and decoding the MP3s.

I'm researching other manufacturers but so far, Sony is the only one I have found that puts these capabilities in a Hi-Fi component.

Reply #30
DVD/VCD/MP3 all-in-one everything player until I discovered you had to step through the mp3's one at a time.  If you had 85 mp3's on the CD and wanted to hear the 85th one, you had to push a button 85 times to get to the song you wanted to hear....

That sounds pretty wacky.  I thought my Apex (the first such unit on the market) was limited in that it only allows 1 level of subdirectory.. similar to the album level you described.

The RCA doesn't seem to have any level limitation.  While navigating, you use left/right buttons to access parent and subdirectories, and up/down to move within a directory.
Seems to read any mp3 from 22 khz mono to lame extremes.
No CD text though.