Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2214631 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #50
wow, this was so much faster then itunes. thanks so much, i hated using itunes.

Reply #51
I am excited about this plugin. I didn't know where to turn to after foo_pod died. Anapod just didn't do it for me. and itunes was out of the question. I tried rockbox firmware for a while. Rockbox still has a long way to go. High quality songs (320kbs) skipped. Hopefully foo_dop will do the trick.

Edit: It will be interesting to see how quickly this plugin is developed. I know this plugin is *brand* new, but file conversion would be nice, as well as custom tags.

Reply #52
0.1.7 is running beautifully on my trusty old 2G. Only issue is that Mount and Unmount both give me a "Class not registered" error, but the component is perfectly functional without those commands. Thank you thank you.

Reply #53
Just tried 1.7 on my ipod Mini. Successfully wrote songs from several playlists to the 'pod.

Reply #54
Hi musicmusic,

I am having problems with songs skipping that were sent over to the iPod with version 1.7. I sent 25 songs over (12 trk album m4a, 12 trk album m4a, 1 single mp3) and all of the tracks transferred over ok. The database file had all the tracks listed properly. So far, so good. From within foobar all the songs played properly within the playlist. When I disconnected the iPod from foo_dop and foobar and accessed the songs directly from the iPod, all of the tracks listed out on the screen properly, but certain tracks skipped. The single track was sent by itself and it skipped. The 2 albums were sent in one transfer. Track 2 and then tracks 9-11 from the 1st album skipped, the rest were OK. The 2nd album only track 7 skipped. I tried a few variations of deleting & resending, but still had the skipped tracks problem. Finally, I used foo_pod (I still have fb2k 0.8.3 on my system) to send the same tracks over to the iPod. All tracks listed out on the iPod screen correctly and played as expected. Let me know if you need further information.

Edit: Skipped track- It showed the "Title", "Album" & "Artist" on the iPod screen for a second or 2, but then it skipped through to the next playable track. So, for example, with tracks 9-11, each track showed on the screen in sequence, but a track did not play until it reached track 12.

Edit 2: Changing File name length fixed the skip with the "Single" mp3 track. The filename was 32 characters including (.mp3) the extension. So, filenames can only be 31 characters max. (27 name, 4 extension, including the dot).

Edit 3: After counting the characters of my other skipped files, they were all over the 31 character limit. Tomorrow morning I will shorten the names to 31 characters and resend, to test if they will play.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #55
Not bat at all for an alpha version  Here's one thing. Sorry, I'm dumb  I wrote more before, but updated the post after reading the notes on the new help page.

Before trying foo_dop I've decided to use iPod Updater to completely erase everything and restore default settings. After doing so I tried to mount iPod using "Mount iPod" menu item but kept receiving an error saying "No iPod found". So I had to use some other software to load some music files to my iPod so that it would first create the neccessary folder structure, I believe. After that I could use the foo_dop plugin.

Using iPod Nano 2GB, Software Version: 1.1.1

Regards.

Reply #56
0.1.7 is running beautifully on my trusty old 2G. Only issue is that Mount and Unmount both give me a "Class not registered" error, but the component is perfectly functional without those commands. Thank you thank you.
Hi, its kind of hinted at in the wiki page  You need the iPod Updater installled, there's a link on the wiki page too. I will make it a more friendly error later.

Hi musicmusic,

I am having problems with songs skipping that were sent over to the iPod with version 1.7. I sent 25 songs over (12 trk album m4a, 12 trk album m4a, 1 single mp3) and all of the tracks transferred over ok. The database file had all the tracks listed properly. So far, so good. From within foobar all the songs played properly within the playlist. When I disconnected the iPod from foo_dop and foobar and accessed the songs directly from the iPod, all of the tracks listed out on the screen properly, but certain tracks skipped. The single track was sent by itself and it skipped. The 2 albums were sent in one transfer. Track 2 and then tracks 9-11 from the 1st album skipped, the rest were OK. The 2nd album only track 7 skipped. I tried a few variations of deleting & resending, but still had the skipped tracks problem. Finally, I used foo_pod (I still have fb2k 0.8.3 on my system) to send the same tracks over to the iPod. All tracks listed out on the iPod screen correctly and played as expected. Let me know if you need further information.

Edit: Skipped track- It showed the "Title", "Album" & "Artist" on the iPod screen for a second or 2, but then it skipped through to the next playable track. So, for example, with tracks 9-11, each track showed on the screen in sequence, but a track did not play until it reached track 12.

Edit 2: Changing File name length fixed the skip with the "Single" mp3 track. The filename was 32 characters including (.mp3) the extension. So, filenames can only be 31 characters max. (27 name, 4 extension, including the dot).

Edit 3: After counting the characters of my other skipped files, they were all over the 31 character limit. Tomorrow morning I will shorten the names to 31 characters and resend, to test if they will play.

You're correct, I was truncating 1 char less than I should have been. I fixed it in 0.1.8. Please test

Not bat at all for an alpha version  Here's one thing. Sorry, I'm dumb  I wrote more before, but updated the post after reading the notes on the new help page.

Before trying foo_dop I've decided to use iPod Updater to completely erase everything and restore default settings. After doing so I tried to mount iPod using "Mount iPod" menu item but kept receiving an error saying "No iPod found". So I had to use some other software to load some music files to my iPod so that it would first create the neccessary folder structure, I believe. After that I could use the foo_dop plugin.

Using iPod Nano 2GB, Software Version: 1.1.1

Regards.

Yes, known/intended for now. The component tries to find an iPod currently just by looking for the iTunesDB file.

I wanted to know really what state the iPod is after reseting it with the Updater.

Reply #57
I am having problems with songs skipping that were sent over to the iPod with version 1.7. I sent 25 songs over (12 trk album m4a, 12 trk album m4a, 1 single mp3) and all of the tracks transferred over ok.
When I disconnected the iPod from foo_dop and foobar and accessed the songs directly from the iPod, all of the tracks listed out on the screen properly, but certain tracks skipped. The single track was sent by itself and it skipped. The 2 albums were sent in one transfer. Track 2 and then tracks 9-11 from the 1st album skipped, the rest were OK. The 2nd album only track 7 skipped. .......

I havn't tested foo_dop yet because I own a 5g ipod. But I know I had the same problem once in a while with foo_pod. It also skipped alot of files that apparently had to long filenames.

Reply #58
Hi musicmusic,

I can't get foobar to even start up (instant crash) with foo_dop 0.1.9 installed.

Edit: I tried again. This time a warning popped up that the crash was with foo_pqview.dll. Upon removing it, foobar opened as normal with foo_dop 0.1.9 installed.
Surf's Up!

Reply #59
Im not doing anything special at startup so I wouldn't imagine foo_dop should cause a crash there. Still I would look at any crashlog you have.

BTW I uploaded 0.2.0 to fix some bug in 0.1.9.

Reply #60
Im not doing anything special at startup so I wouldn't imagine foo_dop should cause a crash there. Still I would look at any crashlog you have.

Versions 0.1.9 and 0.2.0 is still truncating filename length at 32 characters instead of 31. Other than that it is working great.
Surf's Up!

Reply #61

Versions 0.1.9 and 0.2.0 is still truncating filename length at 32 characters instead of 31. Other than that it is working great.

It was truncating to 33 characters before (which was wrong), I changed that to 32 which I thought was correct and does work on my iPod.

I changed it to 31 in 0.2.1 since you say 32 doesn't work, please try that.

Reply #62

It was truncating to 33 characters before (which was wrong), I changed that to 32 which I thought was correct and does work on my iPod.

I changed it to 31 in 0.2.1 since you say 32 doesn't work, please try that.

The change to 31 in 0.2.1 did the trick. Thank you! :-) Everything is working & playing as expected. If I can find the windows crash report regarding foo_pqview.dll I will send it to you.
Surf's Up!

Reply #63

This seems to be a three way issue between foo_pqview, foo_browser and foo_dop. Any combination of two works fine, but add the third and foobar won't even startup. So, it is not just a foo_dop problem.

P.S. I can't find where Windows places that crash report. Now, I can't even reproduce the crash window. A click on the foobar icon just does nothing.
Surf's Up!

Reply #64
Sounds like its component load order related / race condition.

If it was a foobar2000 crashlog, it will be in %appdata%\foobar2000 if you enabled per-user settings, otherwise the foobar2000 program files directory.

If for some reason it was intercepted by Windows (Dr Watson), it would usually be logged in a log file in some hidden directory, usually "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson" (But you can check by running drwtsn32.exe). (I think it doesn't log it if its not the default debugger though.)

Reply #65
Is the newer iTunes database format known to you and, if so, will you utilise it in future?
I ask because I have a iPod Nano 10gb and would really like to use this plugin!

Reply #66
Your wiki states:
It only supports iPods that use iTunesDB (not iPod Shuffle..)

but it works fine with my shuffle  Thanks, musicmusic!

Reply #67
Sounds like its component load order related / race condition.

If it was a foobar2000 crashlog, it will be in %appdata%\foobar2000 if you enabled per-user settings, otherwise the foobar2000 program files directory.

If for some reason it was intercepted by Windows (Dr Watson), it would usually be logged in a log file in some hidden directory, usually "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson" (But you can check by running drwtsn32.exe). (I think it doesn't log it if its not the default debugger though.)

Hi musicmusic,

The problem occurred on my work computer. At home, I have the same three plugins, and same versions running, and there are no problems whatsoever. So, it must be something particular to my work PC.

Last night, I deleted and sent over 350 files with version 0.2.1 and it worked flawlessly. Thank you very much for taking the time to create this plugin.
Surf's Up!

Reply #68
Is the newer iTunes database format known to you and, if so, will you utilise it in future?
Well, yes and no to the first question. And yes to the second, Im adding support for it to the next version.

I ask because I have a iPod Nano 10gb and would really like to use this plugin!
10GB iPod nanos? Since when

Your wiki states:

Well, I will be truthful I don't have a clue. I thought it uses some other database format, iTunesSD. But well glad it works for you

Hi musicmusic,

The problem occurred on my work computer. At home, I have the same three plugins, and same versions running, and there are no problems whatsoever. So, it must be something particular to my work PC.
I think if it happened with any two of those three components loaded, it could be that the problem is actually in another component.

Last night, I deleted and sent over 350 files with version 0.2.1 and it worked flawlessly. Thank you very much for taking the time to create this plugin.
Your welcome

Reply #69
I'm quite interested in this plugin as the lack of foo_pod for version 0.9 has stopped me from upgrading from 0.8.3.  One thing I would like to know is with regards to album art.  All of my MP3's have embedded album art which is carried over to the iPod when I sync with ITunes but not when I use foo_pod.  Will foo_dop allow the usage of the embedded album art on my iPod or would I have to stick to using ITunes to do my transfers?

Reply #70
Your wiki states:

Well sadly for me, your wiki is correct. It all works fine loading , deleting and playing files via foobar2000 but wont play via the headphones. All I get get green and yellow flashing lights -an error warning no doubt. Oh well, never mind. I should have checked this before I got over excited

Reply #71
I'm quite interested in this plugin as the lack of foo_pod for version 0.9 has stopped me from upgrading from 0.8.3.  One thing I would like to know is with regards to album art.  All of my MP3's have embedded album art which is carried over to the iPod when I sync with ITunes but not when I use foo_pod.  Will foo_dop allow the usage of the embedded album art on my iPod or would I have to stick to using ITunes to do my transfers?

Foobar2000 can't read embedded art for the time being, so the answer is probably stick with iTunes.

Reply #72
I'm having intermittent lock-ups while transferring songs to my iPod... not sure where the fault lies though. iTunes doesn't have this problem, nor does ephPod.

Also, having textual indicators of progress would be nice. Being able to see the filename of the song currently being transfered would help identify if there's progress still happening.

Reply #73
Sorry about the 10gb bit, must have stuck in my head from reading the previous posts. Anyway it's 4gb, and I'm absolutley thrilled you are going to support the newer db!

Reply #74
I'm having intermittent lock-ups while transferring songs to my iPod... not sure where the fault lies though. iTunes doesn't have this problem, nor does ephPod.

Also, having textual indicators of progress would be nice. Being able to see the filename of the song currently being transfered would help identify if there's progress still happening.

Need more info.

1. Define lock-up.
2. At what stage does it lock-up.
3. Get me the call stack of the foo_dop thread using Process Explorer and the latest version of foo_dop. (in process explorer, right click foobar2000 / properties / threads and double click a thread to see the stack, foo_dop one will be one of the foobar2000 entries, if you can't work it out copy all of the foobar2000 ones)

Also, the progress indicator moves after after each file is transfered anyway.