Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Digital "on" state delays start of audio (Read 5629 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital "on" state delays start of audio

I have an older (5+ years) receiver, a Sony with Toslink fed from a Creative Xfi digital output.  The sound is great, and foobar is absolutely lovely.  If I run analog out from the Xfi to the amp, everything works perfectly, but the digital signal path is preferred.

When audio of any kind, from any Windows source, including system sounds arrives at the Sony amp, it's as if the amp is "turning on" for the first time, which cuts about 1/2 second from the start of the audio signal.  Ideas??

I've thought of trying an inaudible signal running a loop to prevent the amp from "idling."  Any others have this, or solved it?  Or do I just put up with it until I get another amp?

Thanks for reading this!

--Conrad

Reply #1
Funny, I'm currrently having the same problem.

On my Yamaha receiver the half-second idle time occurs, regardless using
Toslink or HDMI, XP or W7.

From looking on the panel I deduct that it takes some time to switch from
analog input to digital. So far I haven't found a setting on the receiver that
keeps the input to digital.

Will investigate more and post results here.

(Naa, that was not helpful. But maybe it's somewhat soothing that you are
not alone;-)

Reply #2
On HDMI connections, this has been dubbed the "silent stream" bug, and there's a lot about it at AVS forum. It's usually an issue with the HDMI device or its drivers. Which HDMI device do you have? It may be a coincidence that you're also having the problem with Toslink, and both issues are unrelated. How long after the last sound does the audio stream go "dead" in your Yamaha receiver?

To the OP, what OS and audio device are you using?

Reply #3
Andy,

the HDMI device is Nvidia ION (on Asus Eee Box with W7).
But, as I said, I had this issue over Toslink on XP as well.
The answer to your timing question I'll have to measure @ home.

Reply #4
Yeah, Nvidia does that, and I don't think they've fixed it. It still does it with the 460GTX, and the 500 series have the same device/drivers.

ATI used to do it with the 4000 series, then they fixed it with drivers. Then the 5000 series came out and also did it, and then a few months ago they also fixed it with drivers. I don't know if the 6000 series ever did it, but I haven't seen complaints like I saw with 4000 and 5000 series. ATI devices also have the advantage of being able to use an alternate driver from the Realtek website, that never had this problem.

I haven't used Intel HDMI since G35, and IIRC that also had the "bug" but I also haven't read complaints about it for the newer (Arrandale/Clarkdale, Sandy Bridge) devices.

With Toslink, I am not having that problem at all, I just tested with my Xonar DX on Windows 7. Probably a device or driver issue as well.

Reply #5
Thanks for the update, Andy.

I will move to Toslink anyway, as the delay is not the only issue.

(Boy, putting into service my Aldi-PC with XP 7 years ago went much smoother
than with the Eee Box with W7. Display overlay worked out-of-the-box, while
I couldn't get it to work on the new one. Sometimes the projector is detracted
of the signal when I only switch off the monitor.
I'm planning to revive my XP PC and enjoy both flawless audio AND video)

Reply #6
@OP:  It's probably something like this.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #7

To the OP, what OS and audio device are you using?
[/quote]

Windows 7 64 Ultimate 
Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Card 
nVidia GTX460  NOT USING HDMI OUT
Sony STR-DE597

So, all latest+ drivers, though that's not really involved here.  Though I don't doubt there is an HDMI bug out there, I'm not using HDMI at all.  My audio is from the digital out of the X-fi over Toslink to the digital input of the Sony receiver.  There are no issues getting clean signal to the amp, either analog or digital, but digital is preferred.

The lag is at the receiver side in reaction to a digital signal.  The front panel flashes the signal quality, and the audio begins, losing about 1/2 second of audio.  There is no delay running analog in.

This happens with all digital signals.....example, I love a little video gaming:  Borderlands' "ambient" background sounds keep the signal going, but "strike one" is cut off in MVP Baseball 2005 (no laughs, please!).

It seems to cut off "power" to the amp very soon after the signal ends, perhaps 1-2 seconds.  Annoying....

So, I've thought when running Foobar I might have another loop running in the background, sub-audible: 1hz -12db for example.......just a digital "signal" to keep the amp hot.

Appreciate the comments, this is almost enough to go get a new amp, but this Sony works well and doesn't seem to want to break. 

Reply #8
It still could be the sound card and/or the drivers. Do you have any other device with an SPDIF input to test the sound card, or something else with an SPDIF output, like a DVD player or PS3, to test the receiver?

Anyway, at least someone did come out with a workaround, but if you don't trust that guy, I suppose that playing a silent wav on a loop could work the same. If any of these do work, then it's probably your sound card that's cutting the audio, not the receiver.

Reply #9
That did the trick for me.

Many thanks for the hint!

Reply #10
It still could be the sound card and/or the drivers. Do you have any other device with an SPDIF input to test the sound card, or something else with an SPDIF output, like a DVD player or PS3, to test the receiver?

Anyway, at least someone did come out with a workaround, but if you don't trust that guy, I suppose that playing a silent wav on a loop could work the same. If any of these do work, then it's probably your sound card that's cutting the audio, not the receiver.

It is the receiver......I'll play with loops, etc.......but I think this won't be fully resolved until I purchase a newer generation amp.  Thanks for the input.