IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Best way to handle archives? m-TAGS? .zip/.rar/.7z?, Write-protected archives with some fb2k-readble files
Porcus
post Feb 27 2015, 23:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38207

I have some archive files with multimedia content. Want to keep folder structures and files intact, and stored as archive files for another level of write-protection (against user errors, i.e. against myself) and in order to keep them away from my fb2k library (they are stored as subfolders to the associated CDs ...)

I might want to have fb2k read some of them though, but I still want them in an archive format. Was thinking of the following:

- Some archive that needs some effort to overwrite (i.e. fb2k won't just because I carelessly ask to auto-tag, and Windows stays away from it).
- Quick playback access. Not having to wait a minute for it to unpack to play.
- Tagging by m-TAGS in the same folder as the archive.

Q1: does it matter whether I use kode54's plugin or fb2k's archive reader - or something else I don't know?
Q2: does choice of archive format matter?
Q3: Other things I should be aware of?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Daeron
post Feb 27 2015, 23:46
Post #2

Member No.: 59818

If you want to go down this route, why not simply make them read only and name them track.backup.mp3 or similar so foobar can be told to ignore '*.backup.*'? Or simply adjust your library viewer so you have a toggle based on whether the directory structure contains '\backup\' (or whatever subdirectory you usually use) in its filepath. Or move the precious files out of the monitored library.

There's zero guarantee you won't make another user mistake right after you loaded your newly zipped files. A better way to pseudo-secure your files is to include critical information in filepath. That way even if you mess up the tags you should be able to restore most of it (and maybe use that data for an online database lookup to restore the rest).

This post has been edited by Daeron: Feb 27 2015, 23:51
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Feb 28 2015, 03:47
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (Daeron @ Feb 27 2015, 23:46) *
There's zero guarantee you won't make another user mistake right after you loaded your newly zipped files.

Sure. But if fb2k (/the component in question) simply does not support writing ...
+Quote Post
un autre moi
post Feb 28 2015, 05:19
Post #4

Member No.: 112783

QUOTE (Porcus @ Feb 27 2015, 23:09) *

- Tagging by m-TAGS in the same folder as the archive.

Q2: does choice of archive format matter?

Although m-TAGS can read audio files contained in ZIP archives, it cannot access them in RAR archives (and I guess the same applies to 7z).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th March 2015 - 01:42