Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What does Converter do when output bit depth is same as source file’s? (Read 1777 times) previous topic - next topic

What does Converter do when output bit depth is same as source file’s?

Hi guys,

can anybody tell me this:

suppose i have defined a converter-preset with output bit depth set to 16 bit (e.g. to convert to redbook) and Dither set to always.
Now we have to different sources:
a) a 24 bit source-file
b) an already 16 Bit source-file

Of course for a) Foobar reduces the bit depth from 24 to 16 bit and does this also with adding Dither - fine.
But what does Foobar in case of b)? Does Foobar pass through the source regarding output-depth (means: do nothing and do not add dither) because there is nothing to do because the source has already the set target bit-depth?

Thanks for clarifying this.

Reply #1
A late answer: Yes, if dithering is set to "always", then dithering is always applied, no matter if the source is 24 bit or already 16 bit. This is easy to detect by looking at spectrograms of the files, because foobar adds quite a lot of dithering noise, which is clearly visible on dithered files.

I have a related question, the answer is probably the same. If I use a resampler DSP when transcoding files, will this always perform resampling even if the source rate is the same as the target?

Reply #2
A late answer: Yes, if dithering is set to "always", then dithering is always applied, no matter if the source is 24 bit or already 16 bit. This is easy to detect by looking at spectrograms of the files, because foobar adds quite a lot of dithering noise, which is clearly visible on dithered files.

I have a related question, the answer is probably the same. If I use a resampler DSP when transcoding files, will this always perform resampling even if the source rate is the same as the target?

The standard PPHS resampler has always bypassed itself if the rates match, as far as I'm aware.

Try a bit-compare of output versus input to verify it with any resampler and you'd be lucky to get identical results if it didn't bypass itself.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #3
Sometimes I wonder how often I already made my life more complicated than it could have been. -.-

I tried foo_dsp_resampler_0.8.1:
All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Thanks, Dynamic!