Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why are there not nearly as many Techno vinyls? (Read 5532 times) previous topic - next topic

Why are there not nearly as many Techno vinyls?

Why do not as many electronic artist release their audio on vinyl as do rock artists?

Reply #1
I'm not sure where you get this idea, I've noticed the opposite trend if anything. Vinyl-only singles and EPs are as common as dirt in electronic music. I could go down a list of releases, but for just one example Aphex Twin had an entire series of 11 LPs around 2005, which are vinyl-only barring a few selected tracks. I've heard that electronic/dance musicians still cut records for DJing purposes, although these days many DJs have moved on to more flexible digital systems.

I try to think of an equivalent example for rock music, and I'm unable to. In fact I can only remember 2 "rock" records from this century which are vinyl-only. Both of those were short EPs.

All of this evidence is 100% anecdotal so I'm not sure how useful it is. I suppose it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to. I've just never noticed or heard anyone speak of a trend for electronic artists to stop releasing vinyl, in fact I've heard and observed the exact opposite.

Reply #2
I'm not sure where you get this idea, I've noticed the opposite trend if anything. Vinyl-only singles and EPs are as common as dirt in electronic music. I could go down a list of releases, but for just one example Aphex Twin had an entire series of 11 LPs around 2005, which are vinyl-only barring a few selected tracks. I've heard that electronic/dance musicians still cut records for DJing purposes, although these days many DJs have moved on to more flexible digital systems.

I try to think of an equivalent example for rock music, and I'm unable to. In fact I can only remember 2 "rock" records from this century which are vinyl-only. Both of those were short EPs.

All of this evidence is 100% anecdotal so I'm not sure how useful it is. I suppose it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to. I've just never noticed or heard anyone speak of a trend for electronic artists to stop releasing vinyl, in fact I've heard and observed the exact opposite.

Wow, that's really surprising.  I guess it's just because I have a wider appreciation of rock, whereas there are only a few electronic bands I listen to.  I've noticed that almost all of Infected Mushroom's vinyls go for about $300!  Alot of the other techo I listen to such as Porter Robinson, Mt. Eden, Zedd and similar people don't have any vinyl music at all. 

One of my favorite rock artists is Rise Against and I have 8 singles of their that are vinyl only.  Maybe it's just the music I listen to happens to have this sort of trend...

Reply #3
There's certainly a trend of releasing limited edition vinyl (usually singles) in small quantities as an instant collector's item. It seems like a way for bands to make releases more rare/special in the digital age where otherwise, everything is available everywhere. That's why certain records end up $300.

Reply #4
it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to
DING DING DING! We have a winner!