Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: forum software incompatiblity? (Read 3507 times) previous topic - next topic

forum software incompatiblity?

I've recently started using the latest 3.6.xx Firefox under Win7, coming from a much older version under Win98. Entering a post is now most unpleasant on this particular forum but not changed elsewhere.

What is once keyed cannot be deleted or modified in any way. I can click somewhere earlier in the text I've already entered but anthing entered will still go at the end. The backspace key does not work. The only thing I can do to correct or modify anything  is to use the browser refresh buton to completely clear my entry so I can start over.

Is this common? Is it Firefox, Windows 7, what?

Reply #1
Looking at the statistics, Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 is the most common combination here, about 25% of the total visitors.

So I suspect this is not a common problem...

Reply #2
i've had the same problem on sandisk forums, the older version. but with opera and have no idea what was wrong.. it must be something with the way javascript works in the particular configuration i'm guessing

Reply #3
Using the ie9 rc candidate, on other websites I've had my post text automatically erased and blank posts posted instead; similar problems with the latest dev version of google chrome.  It could be an html5 catch up problem.  Does firefox have compatibility mode?  If so, that should help.

Reply #4
Firefox seems to have quirks in forums sometimes. I've had it not let me delete stuff, not let me move the cursor using the Ctrl key etc. I don't know what does it but it's possibly an odd bug in a variety of browsers. I only use FF so can't comment on others (currently 3.6.15 and Win 7 64)

Reply #5
Have you tried to change this:

My Controls - Board settings
Type of text editor to use when posting: Standard Editor

Reply #6
I presume I am now writing with the "standard editor." It seems to be behaving.