Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need some m4a audio guru assistance (Read 17052 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some m4a audio guru assistance

Need some assitance.  Have a m4a file that appears to be corrupted.  Happy to pp some scratch to whoever can fix it.

http://www.box.com/s/fthemrn4x153cjsf0pyy

Reply #1
If you've got it working, post a message on the thread and we can work through logistics via PM.

Reply #2
I trust this is not copyrighted material, as per #9 of the Terms of Service.

Reply #3
I trust this is not copyrighted material, as per #9 of the Terms of Service.

Nope.  Just need to pull some meeting notes from it.  I'm thinking the metadata is jacked up.

Reply #4
Seems just moov box missing. Probably file was not finalized properly, due to premature termination of writing software or hardware. The following worked. If you want rescued file, I can upload it and will let you know.
Code: [Select]
$ dd ibs=1 skip=44 if='your broken file.m4a' of=raw.aac
$ faad -a adts.aac raw.aac

Reply #5
Hey!

I'm having corrupted m4a file issue as well. I recorded an interview today with iPhone 4's Voice Memo app and the recorded file won't play. I'd be very thankful if someone could take a look at it

Link to the file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50308108/haast.m4a

Reply #6
teemuek, by using the method described by nu774, I managed to get the following result.
lame -V 0

Reply #8
You're welcome.
lame -V 0

Reply #9
Since my post seems to be occasionally referred to....
- This method only works for a single track file. If more than two tracks are multiplexed, there's no way to rescue it.
- Basically, you have to cut mdat content out of the broken MP4 first. However, mdat location is not always the same. 44 bytes skip in my previous post is only for the OP's specific file.
- To find mdat location, just open the file with a hex editor, and search for the string "mdat". Bytes that follows "mdat" are the actual contents, and you have to cut them out.
- When you feed the resulting raw (headerless) AAC to faad command, you may additionally have to specify samplerate by -s option if it is not 44.1kHz.

Reply #10
You can also try the Federico Ponchio's code:http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php
It worked great for a file of mine.

Regards
Enrico