Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Active subwoofer around €100 (Read 2134 times) previous topic - next topic

Active subwoofer around €100

I'm looking to get an active subwoofer for christmas. I was looking at the S80 from Cambridge audio. Is this a good choice? What would you recommend? €150 is my upper limit.

Active subwoofer around €100

Reply #1
I don't know  anything about that speaker, but Cambridge has a good reputation.  Have you heard that sub?  Can you go to a store and listen to some subwoofers?

Every speaker sounds different and there are always compromises.    With a subwoofer, you'd ideally like strong, deep, even-accurate bass reproduction  (assuming you want "high fidelity").  That generally takes a big box with a big driver and a big amplifier (and a good design).

It's hard to get strong-deep bass out of a small driver, so the designer has to choose between smooth bass that rolls-off at the lowest frequencies and "boomy" one-note bass.    The buyer needs  to compromise too, so it's best if you can listen before buying so that you'll be happy with your choice.