IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replay gain to adapt albums against each other
rwte
post Oct 11 2012, 10:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103771

Hi,

I realized that it could be helpful to have available a mode of Replaygain that adapts general album gains without destroying the gain differences in between the different titles of a specific album (i.e. all the titles on a specific album should be moved up or down by the same value in order to do an equalization between different albums, but keeping their album-internal differences constant).

With this feature it would be possible to create playlists from different albums at a constant "mean level", but keeping the gain differences between the titles, which have, as I assume, been purposely chosen by the artist/producer.

Is it possible to encode such a Replaygain?
Do others think this mode to be interesting or am I alone with this requirement?

Regards,
rwte
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kohlrabi
post Oct 11 2012, 11:07
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

Album-gain is exactly what you are looking for. If you use album-gain instead of track-gain it will keep the loudness differences between the different tracks of an album intact, and rather shifts the album as a whole to the target level.

In foobar2000 you can select multiple tracks, and then via the context menu perform a ReplayGain scan on them, with the possibility to do only a track-gain scan, treat all selected tracks as one album and scan for album-gain, or do an album-gain scan based on the tags of the selected tracks. You can select which ReplayGain mode will be used in Preferences>Playback.

This post has been edited by Kohlrabi: Oct 11 2012, 11:14

--------------------
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.
+Quote Post
shakey_snake
post Oct 11 2012, 16:30
Post #3

Group: FB2K Moderator
Member No.: 37036

To enable in fb2k: File->Preferences->Playback---->Source Mode: Album

I find it quite particular you are asking for this without having any idea what it's called. This idea (originally called "audiophile gain", now called "album gain") has been documented since at least the first Replay Gain proposal from 11 years ago, which was archived here on hydrogenaudio for a while and is currently found here. Perhaps you are getting your ideas about audio too far from the source? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by shakey_snake: Oct 11 2012, 16:34

--------------------
elevatorladylevitateme
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 20:42