Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP (Read 337907 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP

Reply #100
Okay, I've listened to some Coldplay style tracks and they sound great, but loud tracks start clipping really bad (It sounds like it's stammering almost), what is the consensus on how to fix this?

Reply #101
Look at pages 3 and 4 of this thread.

Reply #102
Can anyone explain me what's the use of converting stereo to 4 channels and applying DHP? I have a 5.1 system and I hear nothing special - nothing better that simply using channer mixer.

Reply #103
Wow, I am finding this plugin incredibly enjoyable!  I am listening to The Phantom of the Opera soundtrack with the convert to 4 channel and the DHP, wow, it's just eons better sounding than the plain input, I was switching it on and off, and it just sounded dead with it off.  Great work!  Just a question, what is the procedure to encode music with this for playback on an ipod or other device?  Great work guys!

Thanks,
Nathan

Right Click-->Convert and have DSP processing on.
Can anyone explain me what's the use of converting stereo to 4 channels and applying DHP? I have a 5.1 system and I hear nothing special - nothing better that simply using channer mixer.

You do know that this plugin is specifically designed for listening on headphones only, right? Are you perhaps thinking of the Pro Logic II plugin?

Reply #104

You do know that this plugin is specifically designed for listening on headphones only, right?

Surely I do. But I keep seeing quotes like "I am listening to The Phantom of the Opera soundtrack with the convert to 4 channel and the DHP, wow, it's just eons better sounding than the plain input" I wonder what are they talking about?

Reply #105
I would assume that he is listening on headphones to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack with the "convert stereo to 4 channels" and "Dolby Headphone" DSP and he thinks it sounds better than the same soundtrack without that input.

DHP is not meant to be used without headphones, it's as simple as that.

Reply #106
Hi all,

Don't shoot me but my foobar version 9 is not configured properly yet and I'm looking for the earlier version of this wrapper, please.

And, yes, I would be very interested in a wrapper for Dolby Virtual Speaker. 

Has anyone had any success taking an MP3 file, running it through Foobar with this wrapper and writing the output to file, copy to a portable device and enjoying psuedo-5.1 sound?

Al.

Reply #107
Has anyone had any success taking an MP3 file, running it through Foobar with this wrapper and writing the output to file, copy to a portable device and enjoying psuedo-5.1 sound?

Yes, I'm doing it that way. Using foobar's converter makes that really easy.

Reply #108

Yep. Works like a charm.

Reply #109
And don't forget turning 5.1 files into stereo for portable headphone listening

Reply #110
Hi,

I managed to get hold of the DTS decoder and I have converted some DTS music files I have to MP4. I have used 31kbps due to really hectic space limitations on my phone. I first ran the files through the Dolby Headphone plugin and I must say that I am impressed.

Even though the quality of the files is not great and the quality of the free headphones is not great either the sound comes out brilliantly.

It sounds a lot more natural than normal stereo music.

On the other hand, I have a test sound file that is a single voice saying "this is front left speaker", "this the front right speaker" etc and I must admit I can't really close my eyes and imagine two speakers in front of me and two behind me. The center speaker sounds like it is in my head and not in front.

I am using DH2 (Live room). I will try DH1 and see if it is any better.

But having said that - music (stereo and DTS) sounds much more alive when using this plugin.

Well done.

Reply #111
I am using DH2 (Live room). I will try DH1 and see if it is any better.

DH1 is more interesting - I can "locate" the speakers better and I would use this for movies.

DH2 feels more immersive but less discrete - the sound certainly rotates around myhead but I find it is less distracting than DH1.

Since I am encoding music to listen to while I am driving I think I will stick to DH2 so I don't look over my shoulder and crash. DH1 will be for listening at home with headphones.

Reply #112
a newbie's question:

Does anyone else  use dolbyhp along with bs2p (foo_dsp_bs2b)?
I place bs2p below the dolbyhp  (in DSP manager) . Is this the right order?

Reply #113
I replied in [a href='index.php?showtopic=38291']this thread[/a].

Reply #114
I've recently upgraded my audio gear to a Sennheiser HD-650 headphone. I have to confess that I can no longer use Dolby Headphone without noticing its negative impact on music detail and clarity. DH was good when I had cheap Aiwa headphones but now I can hear too much the difference on the treble side.

My advice now is: for music listening purposes use DH if you don't want to or can't spend on better hardware; otherwise you can live without it or just use simpler crossfeed.

For movies DH is still a good immersion enhancement.

Reply #115
Does that imply that you no longer have any interest in developing the plugin?

Reply #116
Hmmm, interesting.

I don't own any hi-quality headphones, that's why I ask you.
Could it be that the Sennheisers (and probably some other praised headphones) mimic the sound(stage) of things like Dolby Headphone (or some HRTFs in gerenal) by themselves, to some degree?
Because, apart from the crossfeed and delay, DH seems to be not more than a certain equalization profile, captured in the HRTFs, which is applied to the sound.
Well-tuned headphones could reproduce that, at least in theory.

If this was the case, then listening to DH over such phones would result in the same effect being applied two times in succession.
Therefore, I would like to know how it sounds when you apply DH and equalize the Senns to be linear or mostly linear.
For testing I have uploaded 2 equalization profiles for the HD650 (from headroom), one for linear response over all frequencies (which should be pretty bright without DH) and one with rolled-off highs (like the "perfect" headphone should sound, if one ignores soundstage aspects).

I hope that headroom's data is correct (if not it might sound quite bad in some freqs) and that you find the time for thoroughly trying it out.
The impulse responses can be loaded with foo_convolve.

Reply #117
Some headphones do seem to have some type of crossfeed or at least compensate for HRTF. I'm using the ER-4B and DH is wonderful. Music does lose details/clarity (because of the "natural" reverb), but the bigger sound stage (which means separation between instruments) more than makes up for it when monitoring. Besides, the headphone sounds like a normal speaker now, and not from a headphone which is correct.

Reply #118
Where can I get a version of the DH wrapper for 0.8.3?

I know it used to be available, since the initial version of the wrapper was created for 0.8.3, but the only versions that I have found are for 0.9.

The reason I want it is to try DH on the line input.  Since 0.9 is still missing the line input feature, I have to use 0.8.3 to use the line input.

In other words...
0.9 has the DH wrapper, but line input is still missing.
0.8.3 has line input, but I have not found the DH wrapper for it.

Reply #119
Erik: Plugin version for foobar2000 0.8x is now uploaded in the official 3rd party components website as version 1.0.0. Sorry for the crappy Store&Serve, but I have to say that at least it worked back in june.

Good luck

Reply #120
Chungalin, I really think you should put up your latest version of the DSP (v 1.1.1) with the option to turn off Dynamic range compression on your main page.  That really is the superior version.  In my experience, dynamic compression drastically bloats the sound and introduces loudness at the sake of fidelity, so is only good for watching movies, and preventing clipping is mostly a side effect rather than a goal I think.  The reason it's on by default in applications like WinDVD and Power DVD is because those are movie players and not music players.  Have you tried to listen to the plugin without DRC on your Sennheisers?

And that storeandserve web site is trash!  Look what people are doing to get the test version.   

Please officially release 1.1.1 and make Dynamic compression unchecked by default.  That's the setting I'm using on your plugin right now (Channel Mixer [6 chan, sub w/o bass redirection] -> Dolby Headphone [no compression]), and it sounds absolutely gorgeous.   

Just some more extraneous observations about using Dolby Headphone Wrapper...  Using an upmixer like the default "Convert stereo to 4 chan" with DHP is a must (otherwise the output is hollow and thin).  But it's not the most optimal sound.  Use another 3rd party dsp, skipyrich's Channel Mixer, with 6 chan upmix, subwoofer enabled but no bass redirection (all other settings default), and you now get a very full sound.  For non-compressed rock, like old 60-70's stuff, Channel Mixer with subwoofer is absolute gold (in fact this combination is the best headphone sound I've heard for old super stereo 60's rock!).  Other types of music like jazz, classical, and vocals sounds amazing as well.

However, on modern rock/pop/r&b albums (stuff that's mixed too hot), this setting makes bass very boomy and I hear clipping on some .  For hot albums, I have to turn off the subwoofer switch altogether, but the resulting sound is almost identical to the default 2 to 4 chan upmixer.  Changing volume levels in Channel Mixer only thins the sound, and the clipping still remains.  And changing the amplitude in DHP doesn't stop the clipping either.  The real solution is to apply replaygain info on those tracks that clip, and the boominess/clipping goes away.  I use replaygain but still turn up the volume because I'm not doing it for volume normalization but to stop clipping.  And finally use the Advanced Limiter DSP right after Dolby Headphone. 

Now I'm in Dolby Headphone heaven!  I actually started applying replaygain info to my entire library just so I can listen to them all with this plugin! 

Reply #121
nawhead, thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. I didn't even know that newer version existed!

Ed

Reply #123
nawhead: Thanks for letting me know of that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience to all plugin users. The 1.1.1 version was initially a test version to evaluate the effect of Dynamic Compression parameter, but I really forgot to make it official. Store & Serve was fine some months ago, but of course it's not the best way to keep it available for a long time. Now it's uploaded at official 3rd party plugins website as version 1.1.1, the only change from the "test" 1.1.1 is that the Dynamic Compression is disabled by default. I've also uploaded the 1.0.0 version for older foobar2000 0.8 as requested by Erik.

As I said previously, I'm no longer using it for music. If you read the older posts in this thread you will see that we already tried several upmixing variations to feed DH, including ChannelMixer and FreeSurround. The main problem (for my taste) is that without Dynamic Compression is difficult to harness the volume so the DH engine doesn't go outside 0db (i.e. clip) in all cases. I want to listen to music without the paranoid stress of "hey! I think I've heard a clip there!". Maybe as you say it's a matter of adjusting RG for your media to avoid bad peaks. Feel free to share the experience.

However, I don't plan to spoil the party to anyone. I'm happy to know that there're people enjoying the sound from this plugin.

Reply #124
The main problem (for my taste) is that without Dynamic Compression is difficult to harness the volume so the DH engine doesn't go outside 0db (i.e. clip) in all cases. I want to listen to music without the paranoid stress of "hey! I think I've heard a clip there!". Maybe as you say it's a matter of adjusting RG for your media to avoid bad peaks. Feel free to share the experience.
Some guy at Head-Fi recommended setting the DHP volume to 71% (about -3 dB). I have tested both a 5.1 and a stereo source (upmixed to quad) and the peak levels are less then 1 dB below 0 dB but not above, so maybe that's the optimal setting. Using the advanded limiter plugin afterwards should take care of minor clippings if there are any.