Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC wish list (Read 3525 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC wish list

What I would like to do

Encode entire cd from EAC passing to FLAC (or  other lossless format) to encode a singel file that contains all individual track (tag) info with embeded cuesheet

Have a nice GUI that could take this single file and transcode to single tracks of various formats with preservation of track and album info to pass to tags and filenames.

Nero plug in that recognizes embeded cue sheet. or EAC support

Does FLAC metadata support all this, I know there are now cuesheets, but do they incorporate track title info?

Another possibility would be a cuesheet that could be saved in the same folder as seperate track files.

This is where I believe lossles archiving needs to head.  Isn't that the point? Perfect sound, perfect burn, with effortless rip, encoding and format conversion? 

Maybee jcoalson and Speek could work to this end? 

Oh and hardware support would be nice (Audiotron?)

FLAC wish list

Reply #1
I would like to do this too, and I think the tools to do it are just maturing and getting close to having those abilities.  I don't know the intents and goals of the Xiph organization, but someday I'm hoping for a very integrated set of tools that combine FLAC, cdparanoia, and cdrdao, so we can do something like "flac --archive-cd /dev/cdrom filename.flac" to rip and encode a whole CD to a single file, and from that file you could burn and perfectly recreate the original CD.  There's a lot of detail that I'm sure could be put into such a solution, but the major building blocks are there.

It's things like this that make me wish I had the necessary programming skills to tackle such a project, or had money to donate to the Xiph project so they acquire more resources.  Or both. 

FLAC wish list

Reply #2
Encode entire cd from EAC passing to FLAC (or  other lossless format) to encode a singel file that contains all individual track (tag) info with embeded cuesheet

Can't help much there, EAC is closed source.

Have a nice GUI that could take this single file and transcode to single tracks of various formats with preservation of track and album info to pass to tags and filenames.

I will probably have some time soon to finish my cross-platform transcoding gui that will include this.

Nero plug in that recognizes embeded cue sheet. or EAC support

Nero API may or may not allow this.

Does FLAC metadata support all this, I know there are now cuesheets, but do they incorporate track title info?

No, CD text was intentionally left out as the spec is too broad.  The tagger/transcoder should support a local or network metadatabase (cddb/cdindex) and calculate the key from the FLAC embedded cuesheet.

Oh and hardware support would be nice (Audiotron?)

Already done, check the FLAC main page for Bery's Samba module.  But look into a Rio Receiver on ebay instead, it's cheaper, can decode FLAC natively with an open source client and has better server software.

Josh