Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to crossfade properly when I select a song or press next/previous? (Read 28122 times) previous topic - next topic

How to crossfade properly when I select a song or press next/previous?

I'm trying to crossfade with foobar and it's turning out to be harder than I initially thought. I can get the songs to crossfade when one song is about to end and the next one begins. However, no matter which plugin I've tried (tried continuator and gapless crossfader) I can't get it to crossfader properly when I hit next/prev song or select a song. With gapless crossfader, the crossfade does occur but there is an annoying 0.5 second gap present. What am I doing wrong?

Reply #1
DSPs have no power over what happens when you manually change tracks.

The next foobar2000 version will have a proper built-in crossfade capability, including crossfading on manual track changes.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
This is so cool I was just thinking about this feature and there it is in foobar 1.1.11! I can imagine doing some really neat tricks with this...Thanks!!!

Reply #3
Hi
I am new to foobar2000
I am trying to setup cross fade from ending song into new song playing in overlapping but still unsuccessful. As it is possible in Musicbee.
Could someone tell me how can I do that?

Thanks in advance

Reply #4

I am trying to setup cross fade from ending song into new song playing in overlapping

preferences > playback > dsp manager

move crossfader dsp to active list ; configure duration ; click apply

Reply #5
DSP is no longer needed. preferences>playback>Output>Fading

xyz#1, please state what your setting are - exactly - and what behavior are you not getting.

Reply #6

That will overlap songs?

Or did I misunderstand the question?

Reply #7
Don't know...probably my bad.

Reply #8
Thanks for reply friends,
I am actually trying to get an effect like a broadcast. Where when one song is about to end and the second song also start before the first song finish and both overlap while they are cross-fading in and out.
I am using Foobar2000 v 1.1.11 on Windows 7 32 bits.
There are two way to go into setting - 1) File>Preference>Playback>Output or 2)Library>Configure>Playback>Output
In Output tab there is forth option Fading and it has 4 settings. 1)Pause and Stop 2)Seek 3)Manual track change 4)Automatic track change
I have setting of 3 and 4 as 6000ms. But it does not give effect consistently. Some time it seems that it overlapped but in the next song there is no effect.
Am I doing right setting or am I missing something?

Reply #9
I am actually trying to get an effect like a broadcast. Where when one song is about to end and the second song also start before the first song finish and both overlap while they are cross-fading in and out.
Call this new feature CrossMix
More stars in the universe than grains of beach sand

Reply #10
Thanks for reply friends,
I am using Foobar2000 v 1.1.11 on Windows 7 32 bits.
There are two way to go into setting - 1) File>Preference>Playback>Output or 2)Library>Configure>Playback>Output
In Output tab there is forth option Fading and it has 4 settings. 1)Pause and Stop 2)Seek 3)Manual track change 4)Automatic track change
I have setting of 3 and 4 as 6000ms. But it does not give effect consistently. Some time it seems that it overlapped but in the next song there is no effect.
Am I doing right setting or am I missing something?

This nice but how about other output methods like WASAPI. These setting are not available for anything else only DS output. So how to get crossfade on every stop and pause?

Re: How to crossfade properly when I select a song or press next/previous?

Reply #11
Worthwhile digging up ...

Using v1.3.10: I see above about using Output Fading over Crossfader DSP. But is this true when the last Active DSP is edcast V3 for shoutcasting? Seems like the DSP would still be necessary as it is in the pre-amp stage and the Output Fader is one step away from main amplification ...

Active DSP's:
Hard -6db limiter*
Crossfader
edcast V3

*going to use Advanced Limiter in place of Hard after RG'ing all my tracks

PS glad HA is still alive and kicking
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #12
Hey everyone! I did it!
To activate crossfade (that overlaps both songs) do the following steps:
1 - Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager
2 - Activate Crossfade
3 - Select "Crossfade" on the left side and click on the button "Configure selected" above, close to the "Active DSPs".
4 - Pick how many ms do you want to crossover. I use 8000 but try to find out the best option for you.

Hope it helped. Cheers!

Reply #13
Hey everyone! I did it!

No you did not. The whole premise here was to have it function on manual change.  What you did is probably how everyone knows how to do it. Manual change?? Nope.

Reply #14
Is there still no way to crossfade when you change a skip a song with ASIO? Considering Direct Sound is often cited as the worst of the options for audio quality, it's unfortunate that it only works with that.