Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517109 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #650
Tim,

Are you able to reproduce this issue on your side?
Do you need a FLAC sample file to test?
Last time, I was able to find which Microsoft update causes this issue, but with the huge amount of updates that Microsoft issued this week, I worry that I will not be able to do the same for this time. Sorry.

Reply #651
I have been able to reproduce this issue, and was able to pin it down to one of these 5 updates (the first one is the most likely culprit):

KB3039066
KB3035132
KB3046049
KB3035126
KB3035131

Luckily, I think I can release a new 2.5 beta that addresses this issue pretty soon, probably by the end of the weekend. I'll post an announcement here when the new beta is available.

Reply #652
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your work.
I'll look forward your feedback.

Have a good weekend.

Reply #653
Announcement: a second beta of WMP Tag Plus 2.5 is now available for download here. The only change compared to the first beta is that this one fixes broken plug-in functionality after installing the latest round of Windows Updates on Windows 8.1. Everyone using WMP Tag Plus on Windows 8.1 is highly encouraged to update.

See my previous post for the list of changes in the first beta:

• New: read/write support for star ratings stored in FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
  • New: read/write support for star ratings stored in MPEG-4 files (Windows Media Player 11 only). This is compatible with the native MPEG-4 support in Windows Media Player 12.
  • New: when adding new extensions in WMP Tag Plus settings, the plug-in now offers to restart Windows Media Player for the changes to take effect. After the restart, WMP Tag Plus will scan all library locations so existing files with the new extensions get added to the media library.
  • New: the aforementioned scan of all library locations is also performed when WMP Tag Plus has just been installed, and has also been added to the existing Refresh song tags scan.
  • Fixed: broken plug-in functionality on Windows 8.1 after installation of the November 2014 (KB3000850) or December 2014 (KB3013769) Windows update rollups. Special thanks to rv2798 and dynaxer for reporting.
  • Fixed: with WMP Tag Plus disabled, the usual warning at Windows Media Player startup didn't appear if the Comodo Firewall software was installed.
  • To prevent possible loss of all tags in a music file (as caused by an overzealous Windows Media Player, especially on Windows 8), WMP Tag Plus now ignores all tag delete requests for files whose duration isn't known yet in the library. Such files can be 'fixed' by using Refresh song tags in settings, after which all tag writes are allowed again.

Reply #654
Hi Tim,

From my point of view, all issues related to FLAC playback/tags are fixed with v2.5 beta2.
I will test it deeper in the next days and I'll keep you posted if something goes wrong.

Thanks again for your work!

Reply #655
Yep new FLAC songs I added recently just got proper tags after I used Refresh song tags
Good job! 

Reply #656
It works! Thank you. You saved my day. 

But my antivirus scanner avast didn't want me to download the file. It said, that this file would be malware. I had to switch the scanner off. After downloading avast scanned it again, this time without reporting any threat.

Reply #657
Must have been a false positive - everything looks ok at VirusTotal.

Reply #658
Hello,

First of all, thank you for this great program that I use for a small year.

I am French and I just tested version 2.5 beta 2 for this function: "New: read / write medium for star ratings Stored in FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files."

Unfortunately I meet a concern.
The 1-star rating is 20
The 5 star rating is 100
Why did you choose these values?

In the folder if I put the category "star" I see 5 stars every time.
After testing, I set as a value:
  - 1 star = 1
  - 5 star = 5
And then everything works.

Reply #659
WMP Tag Plus indeed writes the star ratings to FLAC/Vorbis as 20, 40, 60, 80, 100. There is no standard that says how to write ratings to these formats, so I just followed the same approach as Winamp, which can be considered as the de facto standard.

In the folder if I put the category "star" I see 5 stars every time.

Where exactly do you see this? As far as I know, Windows Explorer doesn’t have native support for FLAC/Vorbis tags. Perhaps you have another third-party add-on installed that adds such support? (It can’t be WMP Tag Plus since that only adds support in WMP.)

Reply #660

Thank you for your answer!

I have noted that you made based on Winamp rating system.
But WMP air to have another scoring system.

When I look at the metadata of an .mp3 I see that:
1 = 1 star
2 = 2 star
5 = 5 star
Basically I use WMP to assign the stars.

I think it would be best to do a test with .flac Windows 10 since flac is natively integrated. Then just see the metadata to know what rating WMP uses?

To see the stars in the files I use the software "Opencodecs v0.85.17777."

Reply #661
As far as I know, OpenCodecs only adds playback support, so it must be something else that's showing the tags in Explorer. Which version of Windows are you running?

I'm not sure what would be the point of doing such a test on Windows 10. I have already implemented the rating handling in WMP Tag Plus to be in line with Winamp's and I have no plans to change it again before the final 2.5 release.

Reply #662
Hi Tim,

I have been using dbPowerAmp CD Ripper to re-rip my CD collection - still ALAC but taking advantage of AccurateRip.    I have the SW installed on two different machines to take advantage of different CD drives.
I noticed on the Win 7 system that my .m4a files (not just the newly ripped, but older ones also) are getting stuck in Other Media again.  The problem goes away though as soon as I uninstall the CD Ripper.  This problem doesn't occur on my 8.1 system. 
I assume it has something to do with Codecs (I am using DC-Bass DirectShow on both systems) and recently updated to Beta 2 of Tag Plus 2.5, though that doesn't seem to be a factor.  Have you seen this before?

Thanks,

Reply #663
It's possible that the dBpoweramp CD Ripper replaces Windows 7's native MPEG-4 property handler with its own (which seems kind of useless since the native property handler works fine, even for ALAC). The CD Ripper might have a setting somewhere to undo this, or you could add this .reg file to the registry to manually restore the native property handler:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a]
@="{f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a]

You may need to reboot afterwards. Does that help?

Reply #664
It's possible that the dBpoweramp CD Ripper replaces Windows 7's native MPEG-4 property handler with its own (which seems kind of useless since the native property handler works fine, even for ALAC). The CD Ripper might have a setting somewhere to undo this, or you could add this .reg file to the registry to manually restore the native property handler:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a]

You may need to reboot afterwards. Does that help?

Thanks Tim,  nothing configurable in the app, but your Registry changes worked.

Reply #665
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.5 has gone out of beta and the final version is now available for download. This final version doesn't contain any new functionality or fixes compared to the last beta version. See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed since version 2.2.

Reply #666
Hello,

how to remove completely WMP Tag Plus 2.5 ?
Because I 've uninstalled completely, delete the WMP library (\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player), rebooted the PC.
But when I add a folder with Flac/eac/MPC : it is still reconnu by WMP !

The problem Is that a no-native format is in the WMP library my WindowsPhone/MoliPlayer seen nothing in the Music folder ...
Before installing WMP Tag Plus 2.5, mp3 are visible in WMP and MolipPlayer. Now (Despite uninstall WMP Tag Plus 2.5) all formats (Ape/Flac/Mpc/Ogg ...) are visible in WMP but my phone/MoliPlayer not see anything ...

Reply #667
WMP Tag Plus indeed doesn't remove the registration of non-native formats with WMP on uninstall. I don't think users will be pleased when they remove WMP Tag Plus and then see that their non-native files are suddenly removed from WMP's library as well.

You can still remove the registrations manually by removing the corresponding registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions (leave out Wow6432Node on 32-bit systems).

Reply #668
You can still remove the registrations manually by removing the corresponding registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions (leave out Wow6432Node on 32-bit systems).

Thank you !

Reply #669
I am using Tag Plus latest version in Win 8.1 64 bit. When I use the refresh song tags, flac files tags are read and theose songs become available in library. But if I close wmp and start again, all those flac files are moved to Unknown artist and the tags isn't red. I can use the refresh tags and it will work again but after restarting wmp, they go back to Unknown artist section.

Reply #670
Please make sure that you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, version 2.5.

I suggest that you try rebuilding WMP's library by following these instructions. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:
  •     Reboot the PC.
  •     Open the Start Screen, type services.msc, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
  •     Open the Start Screen, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
  •     In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
  •     Start WMP, your library should have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.

Reply #671
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.6 beta is now available for download here. This version fixes broken plug-in functionality in the latest preview builds and the RTM build of Windows 10, and adds official support for Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 10. The plug-in's Apple Lossless support is now also disabled on Windows 10 since it's not needed anymore there (Microsoft has added native support for Apple Lossless).

Reply #672
I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 via the official final ISO and also installed the latest WMP Tag Plus 2.6 beta on Wednesday. Must admit I was fully expecting everything to be completely broken (due to Microsoft) but surprisingly my FLAC library and all the WMP 12 functionality was mostly intact. The only thing I noticed was when I ripped a new CD in FLAC WMP recognised everything about the files (Artist, Title, Artwork etc) except the Date. It simply shows "Unknown Year" for new files. Most of my FLACs I try to date as YYYY-MM-DD which I assumed was the problem but it is also happening on files where the field is simply YYYY.

Anyway no big deal but I just thought I'd bring it to your attention in case it's new.

Once again, many thanks for all your hard work  I'm just relieved Tag Plus still seems to work with WMP.

Reply #673
Microsoft has added native FLAC support in Windows 10, which means that WMP Tag Plus isn't used anymore for FLAC tagging support in WMP there. The Unknown Year issue is due to the native support not recognizing the DATE or YEAR tag in FLAC files.

Reply #674
Microsoft has added native FLAC support in Windows 10, which means that WMP Tag Plus isn't used anymore for FLAC tagging support in WMP there. The Unknown Year issue is due to the native support not recognizing the DATE or YEAR tag in FLAC files.

Any plans to get WMP Tag Plus working again under W10? Is that even possible?

I have been trying to get Windows 10 Media Player to read my FLAC files as it did under W7. It is a complete mess.   

All my files are tagged with Mp3tag. Every single tag is checked by me before an album goes into the library.
Media Player now throws about 10% of all files into the unknown category. Either unknown artist, album or genre, or all of these together. Which was quite a shock, because it worked beautifully in W7 with WMP Tag Plus. Not a single date tag is recognized.

And retagging the not recognized stuff only rarely helps. And due to the amount of files, I really do not want to retag files that are already perfectly tagged.

Groove is of course just as bad. Microsoft really messed this up - to support something is supposed to mean it works. FLAC does not really work in W10,