Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Zune Problems (Read 7655 times) previous topic - next topic

Zune Problems

Reply #1
Have you all seen this about Zune? How stupid can microsoft be??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6120272.stm
It's amazing how big companies like Microsoft and Sony get away with screwing their customers so much for so long. While it would be nice to see iPod's position rocked, I really hope the Zune crashes.

Zune Problems

Reply #2
The changes to MSN Music do not mean that users will no longer be able to listen to the music they have bought via the store. Users will be able to burn files to a CD for their own use or put them on "compatible players".

My favorite quote from the article.

Zune Problems

Reply #3
<rant>

We all hoped for something different, but remember, this is MS...
Full control...
Full tie-in...
Anti-competitive...
Just like the I-pod.
I personally hope all the music stores that just got screwed out of the zune circle with there "Screwed For Sure" DRM-laden WMAs are mad enough to drop them entirely for MP3 or the like...

</rant>
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

Zune Problems

Reply #4
Have you all seen this about Zune? How stupid can microsoft be??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6120272.stm
This is really ridiculous, I don't understand people buying DRM compressed crap and being restricted.
For some people (who are blind) thera are no other choices... 

PS: This is not an advertisment for free file sharing!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Zune Problems

Reply #5
I think this move was pure crap. What's the point with Plays for Sure if not even MS respects it? In my opinion, this is the big problem with online music stores that use DRM - it would be much easier for users to have only one format that plays everywhere - even if it's DRMed.

Zune Problems

Reply #6
Zune will even put DRM on your own files loaded onto it so that you cannot share them :-P

You can send/receive files from other Zunes via Wireless (which sounds rather cool) BUT you can only play them 3 times AND only in a span of 3 days - even if the originating file was unprotected. DRM at its best. One could even consider this a license violation if the shared content was under CC license...

Zune Problems

Reply #7
I think the Zune COULD have been a good product but it's DRM'd to the hilt.

Zune Problems

Reply #8
I don't understand people buying DRM compressed crap and being restricted.
For some people (who are blind) thera are no other choices... 

PS: This is not an advertisment for free file sharing!

I guess most of those people don't care about generation loss and create audio CDs or convert'em to unprotected MP3 with some tool. And they are happy with it. 192 kbps WMA->mp3 is good enough for average Joe.

PS: This is not an advertisment for Napster and the like

Zune Problems

Reply #10
Too bad that Microsoft apparently didn't listen to the superb talk that Cory Doctorow gave to them about DRM.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Zune Problems

Reply #11
That really was a good talk. I enjoyed reading that.
Since when do Microsoft listen?

A company will look at the Zune and make something better out of it featuring less of the limitations (like that 3 day wifi stuff) or better yet hack it. As said in the talk.

"Because if you don't do it, someone else will."
My fav qoute

Zune Problems

Reply #12
An audio player with DRM to the hilt (GASP)

It won't sell!! Nobody will buy it!!  Unless... it is made by Apple. 

Thank the RIAA for this one not Microsoft.  RIAA probably had the biggest fit ever when MS announced that their player would have Wi-Fi and the ability to share songs, images, etc. 

Of course, people are quick to blame MS instead of looking at the player behind the scenes who is really to blame for the user's suffering.

As with the new music and the incompatibility with the Play for Sure stuff, once again it was a case of different DRM system needed for the player. 

From a logical standpoint, this whole entire scenario should not come as a surprise to anyone...unless they think the RIAA doesn't exist. 

I put the blame squarely on the RIAA for this whole problem that exists in the DAP world.  MS probably had to butt heads with the RIAA over the issue of allowing users to get music to replace the old MS store. 

If Apple or any other corporation was placed in the same situation the end results would STILL have been the same.  People just don't want to stand up to the draconian tactics of the RIAA and with no one curtailing their actions they will continue unhindered to hamper any and all products that involve music.  After all the RIAA's first concern is money, than the artists and finally on the bottom of the totem pole, us, the consumer.  After all in their eyes we are all guilty first until proven innocent (requires a nominal fee to play a song each time).

I applaud MS for this effort because I logically hypothesize what a b**ch it must be to make a product like this and have some big bully come in telling you what you can and cannot do.  A heavy dose of the later and a small teaspoon of the former.

Also, keep in your accusative minds that Apple's iTunes store allows you to download the files once after that you are screwed if you didn't back them up and lost them.

- Brutal Metal G
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Zune Problems

Reply #13
I guess this is one of the bigger advantages of illegally downloading music.

Zune Problems

Reply #14
I think the Zune COULD have been a good product but it's DRM'd to the hilt.

But then again, who didn't see this coming?  Of course millions of "Zheep" (he he) will still buy it and get screwed.

A company will look at the Zune and make something better out of it featuring less of the limitations (like that 3 day wifi stuff) or better yet hack it. As said in the talk.

"Because if you don't do it, someone else will."
My fav qoute

I imagine that the firmware will be hacked soon enough, and some Zunes will become un-restricted private wifi file sharing devices.  Take that RIAA!

Thank the RIAA for this one not Microsoft.  RIAA probably had the biggest fit ever when MS announced that their player would have Wi-Fi and the ability to share songs, images, etc.

Of course, people are quick to blame MS instead of looking at the player behind the scenes who is really to blame for the user's suffering.

You bring a good point to the discussion.  If the RIAA / MPAA had their way, no music or movie would play on a computer at all and they would control all the playback devices.  The hardware / software industry has to compromise with the big media conglomerates to even get the content.  They are at a disagreement of sorts and the people who suffer are the end users.

Zune Problems

Reply #15
You bring a good point to the discussion.  If the RIAA / MPAA had their way, no music or movie would play on a computer at all and they would control all the playback devices.  The hardware / software industry has to compromise with the big media conglomerates to even get the content.  They are at a disagreement of sorts and the people who suffer are the end users.

Which is why I'm surprised they don't go back to releasing everything on vinyl LPs - most people would be too lazy to try to rip records to their computer or upload them onto the internet.

I for one will not be purchasing a Zune when they are released. What does it do, besides the wireless functionality, that my tape player, MD, or iPod hasn't been able to for the past umpteen years? I could see kids using the wireless function to (temporarily) share songs, but I can't imagine the rest of us caring very much.

Let's face it, Microsoft is rather late to this party, even as almighty IPOD is somewhat long in the tooth.

Zune Problems

Reply #16
People keep on forgetting that Zune is a "full solution" product/service... BY DESIGN.  You can also ignore all the services and use your own ripped or unprotected content.  If you want to use a PlaysForSure service, buy a PlaysForSure device.  You are free to buy product from Creative Labs, Sandisk, iRiver, Toshiba, etc.  Heck, buy a Toshiba Gigabeat... that isn't much different than the Zune.  (And you can get a higher capacity unit.)

Anyway, MSN Music is "PlaysForSure" just like the others... so it obviously won't work.  I (personally) think Microsoft should have allowed PlaysForSure content on the Zune player... but I understand the whole goal of making it a single universe.  Zune Player + Zune Marketplace + Zune Subscription Content

Zune Problems

Reply #17
Which is why I'm surprised they don't go back to releasing everything on vinyl LPs - most people would be too lazy to try to rip records to their computer or upload them onto the internet.

And alienate piles of CD devices made since the 1980s, I think not.  CDs are like MP3s only like 10 times more: they've gained super-mass-appeal and it won't just die because the conglomerates want it to, no matter how copyable it is.

Anyway, MSN Music is "PlaysForSure" just like the others... so it obviously won't work.  I (personally) think Microsoft should have allowed PlaysForSure content on the Zune player... but I understand the whole goal of making it a single universe.  Zune Player + Zune Marketplace + Zune Subscription Content

A shot in the foot, no doubt.  It doesn't really matter what the bean counters at MS say.  We all know.