Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VBR V0 Bitrates close to 300 kbps (Read 15366 times) previous topic - next topic

VBR V0 Bitrates close to 300 kbps

Reply #25
Do you mean that the average bitrate per track ranged between 128 kbps and 224 kbps? I'd be surprised to see tracks ripped at -V0 averaging 128 kbps unless the audio on the track was very unusual.

It probably just means that the track is mono.

Reply #26
Guys, I'm just going to start ripping everything at 320 kbps instead, since many files are coming out in the high 200s. Space is not an issue, but I don't want to go lossless.

Thanks again for everyone who submitted suggestions and and gave input.

Isn't that an illogical way of thinking?  "Since I get higher bitrate that i expected, I will use the highest bitrate possible". It is not a bug. It is an intended behaviour precisely to reduce the gap between 320kbps CBR and previous -V0.

Reply #27
Do you mean that the average bitrate per track ranged between 128 kbps and 224 kbps? I'd be surprised to see tracks ripped at -V0 averaging 128 kbps unless the audio on the track was very unusual.

It probably just means that the track is mono.

The CD says stereo but the tracks do sound like mono to me.

The CD is UPC: 018771937524
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #28
@soundping: CD Audio (Redbook standard) has one and only one format: LPCM, 16 bits, stereo, 44.1Khz .

That said, a mono signal can mean two things:
- a single channel stream
- a stream where all channels are (almost) equal  (almost, if talking about sonically mono, not mathematically mono).

So, yes, a CD Audio can contain a stream where both channels are (amost) equal, and so considered mono.

And finally, due to the mechanism that both, lossless and many lossy codecs have, streams in which the channels are very similar, require less bitrate.
That's why pdq said that probably the track was mono.