Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VBR vs. CBR (Read 7774 times) previous topic - next topic

VBR vs. CBR

Hi there,
I've been reading my way for about 2 or 3 pages w/o finding the info I hoped to find in this section. I'm just getting started w. MP3 and stuff like that. From the info that I read in the last days, MPC seems to be really cool. But my concern is compatibility. I decided to stick w. MP3 but I'm still unsecure about using the superior VBR pre sets. I don't own a portable MP3 player, even don't have a MP3 compatible CD Player yet.
I will certainly get me some stuff in the next future, so I really need to know about what's commonly awailable on the market. Do these days CD players cover various formats like VBR, MPC, OGG etc. etc.?
I don't have the $$$ to spend on a player that calls for a prize that goes up like a lunar rocket. Wouldn't go for the cheapo stuff either. Is there a consensus about what CD player is a good one for playing the better formats, just like the Technics MK2 represents a good turn table?
Sorry guys if this is a boring one, but I'm just getting started and I want to do it once.....the right way, rather than having to change things on hundreds of files once in a while.
Sorry for the long post

VBR vs. CBR

Reply #2
Thank you PIO I'll dig into that.

VBR vs. CBR

Reply #3
If hardware compatibilty (portable/car/DVD player) is an issue, I personally would use "--alt-preset cbr <bitrate>" where bitrate might be 192, 224 or 256, depending on your kind of music and quality expectations.
Yes, you lose the efficiency of VBR and a bit of quality, but you can be sure that the files will play everywhere (and the quality is still much superior to the 128k stuff on Kazaa).

And check out mp3gain (www.geocities.com/mp3gain), using that will make sure all tracks on your own sampler CD sound "equally loud"

VBR vs. CBR

Reply #4
Hey Sony,
Guess I'm gonna stick with the CBR insane pre set. You guys, please don't shoot me, but I made some comparisons and found out that I definately do hear a remarkable difference between a Wav and a compressed file @ 320 k/sec. I have to admit that I can't really hear a difference between the standard and the insane preset. Hell, I must be insane LOL.

VBR vs. CBR

Reply #5
Nobody will shoot you for using --alt-preset insane (=optimized CBR 320k) on this board
Although the differnece you hear might be due to the fact that the --alt-presets make the tracks a little more quiet (scalefac 0.93 I think...)
I wouldnt go that high in bitrate, but please there you go