Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AAC Codec Version 1.5.1.0 released (Read 143149 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AAC Codec Version 1.5.1.0 released

Reply #100
Nero is gapless on Apple's stuff, and foobar, but not Winamp or surprisingly even Rockbox (at least as of 1.3.3 Nero/Rockbox 3.3).  I asked Rockbox forums why it was gapless elsewhere and was told that there is gapless info written into the files, but that they did not know where, so they couldn't utilize that info for implementing gapless playback on Rockbox.

Nero encoded files should be gapless in Rockbox now. It was fixed in October (2009).

Reply #101
Nero seems to have quietly issued an update (1.5.4.0, file dated 18 February) without telling anyone    (or maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough!) Presumably this is a bugfix update? In any case, thx again to the Nero people for their continuing work.

Reply #102
Funny thing regarding the CDEC tag: Using Nero with dBpoweramp writes the tag correctly. Then adding album art with MP3Tag (v2.45a) deletes the CDEC tag! I would guess that the fault lies on the MP3Tag side (so I will mention this in the forums over there), and yet this didn't happen with Nero 1.3.3.0....

Edit: my memory seems to have been playing up - just tried it with 1.3.3.0, and whoops - there goes the CDEC tag. So just ignore me! 

Reply #103
Nero seems to have quietly issued an update (1.5.4.0, file dated 18 February) without telling anyone    (or maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough!) Presumably this is a bugfix update? In any case, thx again to the Nero people for their continuing work.

The changelog says:
Code: [Select]
2010-02-18 - Version 1.5.4.0

- neroAacEnc:
        - Fixed very rare error

Reply #104

The changelog says:

- neroAacEnc:
        - Fixed very rare error

can any nero aac developer comment on what this particular rare error is? thanks

Reply #105

The changelog says:

- neroAacEnc:
        - Fixed very rare error

can any nero aac developer comment on what this particular rare error is? thanks

It's a fix for the issue frozenspeed reported earlier in this thread.

Reply #106
Thank you Nero Devs  keep up the good work and keep improving your great encoder!

I have 3 questions to make:

1- Are you going to release a Mac version for your AAC encoder too? It is always nice to have it on all platforms.

2- Isn't there any x64 version of your encoder? If it may help to speed up the encoding i believe it should be made.

3- Is Nero as true vbr as Apple AAC TVBR? As far as i've seen it looks like even Q127 has a lot of fluctuations of bitrate,even big in some cases and it looks like speed of decoding is extremely fast. True VBR in fact has the lowest complexity of all LC-AAC modes. I'm a bit confused about all of this VBR/True VBR stuff,i've always been used to the traditional VBR of lame or Nero and i wonder if you are going to implement true vbr in the future too.

Thank you once again and keep up the good work!

Reply #107
Hello Nero devs!

First I'd like to thank you for this great encoder. I use mostly HE-AACV2 at 24kbps for my mobile phone, with impressing quality (of course far from transparency, but amazing nonetheless for such low bitrate).

I've noticed some glitches with HE-AACV1 content being played at my Nokia N85 (also on N95). It's high pitched squeaks that occur in some songs. Forcing V2 solves the problem, but for higher bitrates such 48 or 64k V1 gives better results. Please see more details in this post:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t78679.html

Is this some kind of incompatibility with Nokia player, or maybe a bug? I've noticed this in v. 1.3.3.0 and the new one (1.5.1.X) gives the same results.

Thanks,
Rogerio

Reply #108
I've noticed some glitches with HE-AACV1 content being played at my Nokia N85 (also on N95). It's high pitched squeaks that occur in some songs. Forcing V2 solves the problem, but for higher bitrates such 48 or 64k V1 gives better results.

This could happen on some songs because of the nature of HEv1 and HEv2.

Reply #109
hey there. i'm actually new to the forum and i don't know if i'm supposed to post my question here tho i will since there are tons of double-posts and i'm a bit lost.

first off: i wanna use neroaac as my future encoder and i saw that it's the best encoder at about 160kbps which is perfectly fine with me. i used to encode with LAME at 192 cbr so far and i would now like to encode with neroaac at about 170 kbps VBR from now on. which is the appropriate quality setting for that? is it the default 0.5 or something more or even less cause the pdf coming along with the zip file of the encoder only explains certain values. 

secondly: is there any frontend-transcoder working perfectly with neroaac? cause using it as an external or various apps doesn't work quite well (as far as i've tested that is)

and last but not least: is there any program that features the constant bitrate viewing  of an aac track? winamp only shows the bitrate of the first soundframe and that's why i asked the first question first place 

thank you for your time

Reply #110
secondly: is there any frontend-transcoder working perfectly with neroaac? cause using it as an external or various apps doesn't work quite well (as far as i've tested that is)
foobar2000

and last but not least: is there any program that features the constant bitrate viewing  of an aac track? winamp only shows the bitrate of the first soundframe and that's why i asked the first question first place
foobar2000

Reply #111
first off: i wanna use neroaac as my future encoder and i saw that it's the best encoder at about 160kbps which is perfectly fine with me. i used to encode with LAME at 192 cbr so far and i would now like to encode with neroaac at about 170 kbps VBR from now on. which is the appropriate quality setting for that? is it the default 0.5 or something more or even less cause the pdf coming along with the zip file of the encoder only explains certain values.

0.45 is ~160k and 0.55 is ~200k so maybe try 0.47

Reply #112

You should conduct your own proper listening tests in order to determine if that bit rate (and corresponding setting) is right for you.  There is no need for you to encode at -q.47 if you cannot ABX -q.35 or -q.40 from their source lossless files.

Reply #113
Have I missed something? I cannot find any place to download the 1.5.3 or 1.5.4 mentioned before. Or it's just not published yet?

Reply #114
Have I missed something? I cannot find any place to download the 1.5.3 or 1.5.4 mentioned before. Or it's just not published yet?

NeroAACCodec-1.5.1.zip archive on the official page contains the latest version neroAacEnc 1.5.4.

Reply #115
you know what the problem is? you say that -q .45 is 160 when the official pdf of neroaac says it's at about 146. foobar2000 says that 0.50 is about 175 though most of the songs' soundframes come OVER 180 which is totally confusing ...
which is the right quality setting for about 170 then? is it 0.46-0.47 or is it 0.51-0.52 ? everything/one gives me totally different info. whom should i trust? like i said in the beginning; i want something (VBR ofc) at about 165-175 kbps. is there noone that can responsibly give me an answer to that? i mean neroaac sounds like a good encoder but it's too messy to understand! i would appreciate any assistance ...

Reply #116
VBR

file size = bitrate * duration.

Reply #117
It is not hard to understand.  As previously pointed out, vbr is just that: variable bitrate.  Why not try some different settings with your songs to determine what is right for you?  Why are you set in 170kbps?  Is it too much trouble to fire up foobar2000, encode some tracks at various settings, and see which one comes out right?

Reply #118

VBR

file size = bitrate * duration.

yeh i know that

It is not hard to understand.  As previously pointed out, vbr is just that: variable bitrate.  Why not try some different settings with your songs to determine what is right for you?  Why are you set in 170kbps?  Is it too much trouble to fire up foobar2000, encode some tracks at various settings, and see which one comes out right?

first: i'm stuck at 160-170 to save some space in my p.c. without losing quality

secondly: what i've said is 'cause i've tried both the console mode of the encoder and foobar2000 and each and every time i get completely different bitrates at various quality settings i've tested and that's why i'm confused. sorry if i did not mention that.

e.g. i tried -q 0.47 and i got a range of 150-179 and i tried -q 0.53 and got the same ranges (filesize is bigger at 0.53 ofc and i knew that would happen). but then i tested 0.47 on some different album and got a completely different range of bitrate values. i also reckon that album production differs from album to album but i don't think that this explains the major differences in bitrate ranges i'm getting.

Reply #119
but then i tested 0.47 on some different album and got a completely different range of bitrate values. i also reckon that album production differs from album to album but i don't think that this explains the major differences in bitrate ranges i'm getting.

No, it does explain the difference. Different music requires different bitrates for the same quality.

secondly: what i've said is 'cause i've tried both the console mode of the encoder and foobar2000 and each and every time i get completely different bitrates at various quality settings i've tested and that's why i'm confused. sorry if i did not mention that.

Did you follow the link that [JAZ] gave you?

The main advantage is that the user is able to specify the quality level and conserve as much space as possible, but the inconvenience is that the final file size is quite unpredictable.

Reply #120
perishedinflames, why don't you use ABR at 170kbps if that is what you want? VBR will NEVER guarantee your desired bitrate.
Considere that ABR allows the bitrate to change throughout the song (unlike CBR) and give the more complex parts more and the less complex parts less bits, but the overall bitrate will always be as you specify.

Reply #121
Or use -2pass, it's basically VBR but will always give you the bitrate you want.

Reply #122
perishedinflames, why don't you use ABR at 170kbps if that is what you want? VBR will NEVER guarantee your desired bitrate.
Considere that ABR allows the bitrate to change throughout the song (unlike CBR) and give the more complex parts more and the less complex parts less bits, but the overall bitrate will always be as you specify.

Or use -2pass, it's basically VBR but will always give you the bitrate you want.

tnx for the info guys!

Reply #123
This could happen on some songs because of the nature of HEv1 and HEv2.

Hello muaddib,

I don't know if I expressed myself correctly (sorry, english is not my language).
I'll try again

I meant that HEv1 presents lots of artifacts (squeaks) in about 30-50% of music encoded with it, in the 48-64k range. This seems only to appear when played with Nokia phones.

Forcing HEv2 in 48-64k range does solve the problem. But we are at a loss when encoding HEv2 in such "high" bitrates, aren't we?

Songs were converted with dbpoweramp, nokia compatibility.

If needed, I think I can digitize the output to show it, during the weekend. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Reply #124
I meant that HEv1 presents lots of artifacts (squeaks) in about 30-50% of music encoded with it, in the 48-64k range. This seems only to appear when played with Nokia phones.

This sounds like there is some problem with the decoder on that phone. Can you try a couple of different players to see if it really doesn't happen with other decoders? I suggest Winamp, iTunes (if you have it, or don't mind installing it), foobar2000.

Menno