Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 CBR or VBR (Read 5966 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 CBR or VBR

Gidday i do a lot of ripping from CDs using EAC v.99 prebeta5 i've just started out using VBR and gettin complaints by others

when EAC did wizard search it found.. Lame.exe.. when i rip it shows 3.98.2 32bits

in the command line box shows this>> %l-V 5%l%h-V 0%h --vbr-new %s %d  <<

now i know this question has been asked a million times before.. what is better V0 or CBR Stereo not dual or joint..

if thats better [the CBR] what is the best command line to use for EAC for CBR320 if not is that command line i'm currently using anygood or could be better..

I'm just looking for the best option available.. thankyou if you can help
cheers
Don't Ask!!!! I never existed...

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #1
-V0 VBR is what you want.

Here's a handy guide: EAC and LAME

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #3
Your command line is fine (assuming you're using the radio buttons accordingly). You don't need "--vbr-new" anymore as 3.98 uses it by default, but it makes absolutely no difference if it is in your command line.

Who and why are others complaining about VBR?

Most users here (myself included) will recommend VBR over CBR. You can read the pages on the HA wiki and Wikipedia for "Constant Bitrate" and "Variable Bitrate" for some good info.

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #4
Gidday i do a lot of ripping from CDs using EAC v.99 prebeta5 i've just started out using VBR and gettin complaints by others

You know that these boards do not condone piracy, don't you?  CBR 320... Simple stereo... getting complain by others.... You know what you sound like.

Else, if you are here to get knowledge about encoding (mp3 in this case), the other previous replies are all that you need to know.

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #5
thankyou everybody..

oh when i say complaints from others its not piracy.. in no way or form did i mention the like even though it came across that way. sorry

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #6
VBR is in most cases a better choice over CBR, since it offers you a better quality\space ratio - you get a quality close to 320 kbps CBR and save a lot of disk space at the same time.

However VBR MP3 files may have some compatibility problems with some software and hardware, such as some media players, DJ CD players and etc (usually these are older products or products manufactured by cheap or "no name" vendors).  So first check your VBR files on all the programs\devices you and your friends use. If you have no problems - go with the VBR. If you have problems - well, you may contact the manufacturer of the program\device, maybe a software update is required.

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #7
Stereo not dual or joint..

If you search these boards you will find that this claim is false as well. You really DO want joint-stereo - Not anything else. It's false rumors more than 10 years old from back when probably a certain encoder didn't have a proper implementation of  joint-stereo. LAME encoder have been optimized really well even over past years and is probably the best encoder implementing VBR. Rumors that VBR are bad are probably from conservative people that are stuck on an old lame or fhg (maybe worse) encoder. You can safely teach them that they should use the latest stable lame to make good encodings. Also don't try to tweak it's settings, as the default settings are optimized for less artifacts at any bitrate. Just use the -v 0-5 switch.

You could consider ripping to flac so you will always have the source to quickly create a new mp3-encode from (when a new lame comes out or whatever).
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #8
thanks everyone cheers..

MP3 CBR or VBR

Reply #9

Probably because the people complaining are using old hardware that has poor VBR support.