Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speech Samples (Read 10150 times) previous topic - next topic

Speech Samples

Hi

I would like to test out codes optimised for speech but don't have any samples.  Does anyone here know where  I can get a few different speech samples to try out?

Thanks

Ax

Speech Samples

Reply #1
Google is your friend ™ <-- someone always replied to me that way on HA... I forgot... so the credit goes to him/her.

Try searching for "speech"... e.g. "Ronald Reagan speech Berlin"

Usually you'll get 128 kbps CBR MP3 files. Decode to wav, then encode with whatever encoder you'll be using.

Speech Samples

Reply #2
I guess that's gonna be my best bet! Thanks

Speech Samples

Reply #3
http://www.archive.org/
Tons of speech recordings in there.  Look for the ones available in lossless (FLAC) format.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Speech Samples

Reply #4
Thanks for the link.  Can you please recommend some ideal flac files I should download from that site for testing?

Speech Samples

Reply #5
Not sure where you're located, but perhaps your local library has some audiobooks on CD?  These would be ideal sources as they're uncompressed PCM...FLACs would also, of course, work very well.

Just checked out archive.org, and after clicking around a little in the "Audio" section, it looks like "Berkley Groks Science Radio" would be good for a FLAC source - I checked the info on six or seven of their shows, and they were all available as FLACs.  At least a few of the "Presedential Recordings" were available as FLACs, and most of them were from the 60's, so that could be interesting from a technical standpoint to see how various encoding settings deal with the tape hiss.  Also, it appears the some of the "Tse Chen Ling Buddhist Lectures" were available as FLACs.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Speech Samples

Reply #6
The Kennedy recordings are fairly clear for their age.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Speech Samples

Reply #7
Societal Eclipse - THanks for the kennedy suggestion.

mixminus1 - Thanks for the suggestion, it just made me realise that I have a speech CD somewhere!  Just have to find and rip it.

Thanks for the help

Ax