Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of DAE Drive Features (Read 260046 times) previous topic - next topic

List of DAE Drive Features

This thread will be used to gather an accurate list of DAE drive features. Just post your drive(s) features in this thread & I will add them to my database.

The lists main purpose is to provide sample offsets for users who don't have one of EAC's key CD's & help people decide which is an optimal drive for use with EAC & which is a suitable drive for accurate results with CD Paranoia.

I will not add any incomplete records into the database so you must provide all the required fields.

Required Fields:
  • Manufacturer     <-- First part of EAC's top-left list box
  • Type                   <-- Second part of EAC's top-left list box
  • Model                   <-- Third part of EAC's top-left list box
  • Accurate Stream     <--Detect Drive Features....
  • Caching                   <--Detect Drive Features....   
  • C2 Error Info     <--Detect Drive Features....   
  • Overread                   <--Detect read sample offset correction....
  • Sample Offset     <--Detect read sample offset correction....
  • Firmware                   <--Drive tab of Nero InfoTool
Example:

Code: [Select]
Manufacturer - SAMSUNG
Type - CD-ROM
Model - SH-152A
Accurate Stream - YES
Caching - NO
C2 Error Info - YES
Overread - Lead Out
Sample Offset - +12
Firmware - C504

Results so far:

Database file (xls):

10-04-2005

Reply #1
Type - MICRO ADVANTAGE DVD-RW
Model - IDE1008
Accurate Stream - YES
Disable Cache - YES
C2 Error Info - YES
Overread I/O - Lead Out
Sample Offset - +12

Type - STARLOGIC DVD-ROM
Model - DVD-16X6S
Accurate Stream - YES
Disable Cache - NO
C2 Error Info - NO
Overread I/O - Lead Out
Sample Offset - +12

cd drive offsets can also be found at accuraterip. 

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

Reply #2
Heh, not so long time ago AgentMil started the same topic and you were the first person who suggested that it doesn't make much sense 
Well, IMO it still doesn't make sense as there already are at least 3 web-sites with all these data. Of course it won't hurt to have another one here on HA, but lets make it the way it should be then - first of all providing firmware version of the drive for which someone submits the data is a must. Secondly, "Disable Cache" is confusing, you should change it to "Drive caches audio". Also, in the table there always should be a "+" or "-" sign before Sample Offset value (which in fact is an Offset Correction value). And since the table is supposed to help people choose a good drive, other EAC-related data wouldn't hurt (like CD-TEXT/UPC/ISRC read/write capability, gap/index retrieval method and accuracy, read command, write offset if it's a burner, etc).

Reply #3
but lets make it the way it should be then - first of all providing firmware version of the drive for which someone submits the data is a must.

OK

Secondly, "Disable Cache" is confusing, you should change it to "Drive caches audio".

OK

Also, in the table there always should be a "+" or "-" sign before Sample Offset value (which in fact is an Offset Correction value).

Negative values will have a "-" minus sign.

And since the table is supposed to help people choose a good drive, other EAC-related data wouldn't hurt (like CD-TEXT/UPC/ISRC read/write capability, gap/index retrieval method and accuracy, read command, write offset if it's a burner, etc).

I think I have the most improtant DAE related drive data.

I will also release a .xls file  if/when the database starts to really populate, that file can then be used to import the data I have gathered into the Offset Base, Accuraterip, SatCP, & any other web site or program that wants to have a drive feature database.

Reply #4
can you get a log output from Nero CD Speed?

If so you should ask for log submissions from neros Advanced DAE, this would be more reliable then peoples reporting. Better yet, quite a few people here work at nero, maybe they could suggest nero add a drive feature set upload to a database for others to access.

Reply #5
Negative values will have a "-" minus sign.

For sake of readibility positive values should have a "+" plus sign too. Red background for drives which overread capabilities don't match their offset (for example overread into lead-in and positive offset), and yellow (or green?) background for the ones which do match (for example overread into lead-in and negative offset) would be nice too.

can you get a log output from Nero CD Speed?

If so you should ask for log submissions from neros Advanced DAE, this would be more reliable then peoples reporting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280245"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nero CD Speed reports combined read/write offset which alone is rather useless, not to mention that Advenced DAE Quality Test is a drive-killer (harmonica test  ).

Reply #6
Type: SONY DVD-ROM
Model: DDU1621
Firmware: S2.9
Accurate Stream: YES
Caching: NO
C2 Error Info: YES
Overread: Lead-In
Offset: +12

Type: HL-DT-STDVDRAM (it's LG)
Model: GSA-4120B
Firmware: A111
Offset: +667

Reply #7
Type: JLMS (Liteon) DVD-ROM
Model: XJ-HD166S
Firmware: DS1E
Caching: YES
Offset: +12

Type: PIONEER  DVD-RW
Model: DVR-106D
Firmware: 1.08
C2 Error Info: NO
Overread: Lead-Out
Offset: +48

Type: RICOH CD-RW
Model: MP7520A
Firmware: 1.25
Overread: Lead-Out
Offset: +97

Could you change the format that the results list is in, it looks like it's a jpg (blurry) i think a png would be easier to read.

I also think putting + or - infront of the offset value is a good idea
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #8
Hmm, the SAMSUNG - SH-152A looks pretty good. $15 shipped and +offset correction with lead out over reading. Can anyone confirm these features? This would result  in perfect rips correct?

Reply #9
Type - MICRO ADVANTAGE DVD-RW
Model - IDE1008
Accurate Stream - YES
Disable Cache - YES
C2 Error Info - YES
Overread I/O - Lead Out
Sample Offset - +12

Type - STARLOGIC DVD-ROM
Model - DVD-16X6S
Accurate Stream - YES
Disable Cache - NO
C2 Error Info - NO
Overread I/O - Lead Out
Sample Offset - +12

cd drive offsets can also be found at accuraterip.  

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279972"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IDE1008 Firmware:  0059
DVD-16X6S Firmware: DSG2

Its also interesting if I use EAC to configure my offsets instead of Accuraterip, it gives me +2009 on both drives with no Overread on either. 

Reply #10
I wonder if this thread could be stickied by a mod.

@westgroveg
Is there any chance of getting a key which tells us what the colors mean ?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #11
Would it be possible to split the manufacturer name from the type field?

At some point I can make a MySQL database from your database file and it would be nice to design a simple web interface so we can filter out particular manufacturers. It would be much easier to do if the manufacturer had it's own field.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #12
Unfortunateson - It is because you are using a different pressing and therefore you should only rely on results you get more than once. -If EAC reports that you cant overread why have you posted otherwise ? -Martin.

Edit: When you do the EAC offset test with a different pressing disc or even a disc thats not in the database then you can still trust the overreading capability part of the test.

Reply #13
Unfortunateson - It is because you are using a different pressing and therefore you should only rely on results you get more than once. -If EAC reports that you cant overread why have you posted otherwise ? -Martin.

Edit: When you do the EAC offset test with a different pressing disc or even a disc thats not in the database then you can still trust the overreading capability part of the test.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280866"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes Unfortunateson, could you clear up whether EAC reports the drives can overread lead out or not overread at all?

What I may do eventually is host a lossless copy of my EAC Test CD. People can download it, burn it to CD with their burner, then extract & compare with the original wav which will give you your drives write sample offset, then you take away that value from the read offset EAC reports with the CD you created, thus giving you an exact read sample offset.

Reply #14
sorry about the confusion... EAC reports neither the IDE1008 or DVD-16X6S overread, but it only finds one of my CDs in its database, where accuraterip finds many of them, and gives both drives an offset of +12.  And the caching of the drives are reversed in your graph.

Reply #15
Unfortunateson - AccurateRip dosent check for overreading capability. And even if you have overreading enabled in EAC and dosent get a sync error on the end of the last track then you cannot be certain that your drive can overread. Some drives report a sync error but others dosent, and just insert null samples instead. When you do the EAC offset test, then make sure to use an original cd. It dosent matter if its in the database or not because you only check for overreading capability of your drive. -Martin.

Reply #16
ive checked, no overreading on neither

Reply #17
Type: BenQ DVD-RW
Model: DW1620 Pro
Firmware: B7U9
C2 Error Info: NO
Overread I/O: Only Lead In
Sample Offset: +618

Type: AOpen DVD-ROM
Model: 1648 AAP Pro
Firmware: 1.02
Sample Offset: +738

Type: LiteOn DVD-ROM
Model: XJ-HD 165H
Firmware: CH12
Overread I/O: None
Sample Offset: +12

Type: ASUS CD-RW
Model: CRW-5232AS
Firmware: 1.03
Sample Offset: +6

Type: TEAC CD-RW
Model: CD-W524E
Firmware: 1.0E
Sample Offset: +686

-andy-

Reply #18
sorry about the confusion... EAC reports neither the IDE1008 or DVD-16X6S overread

OK, fixed.

And the caching of the drives are reversed in your graph.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281706"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just in case anyone is wondering this confusion is due to the fact that the original required fields names where slightly confusing.

Should be correct now unfortunateson?

Reply #19
looks good.

Reply #20
Manufacturer - Samsung
Type - CD-RW/DVD
Model - SM-316B
Accurate Stream - Yes
Caching - No
C2 Error Info - Yes
Overread - None
Sample Offset - +120 (read); +6 (write)
Firmware - T302-COM

Reply #21
Just to keep people updated:

I've now created the MySQL database with some php pages that display these drive features in a table, along with a basic search tool (not really required until the database gets alot bigger). There is also a registration and submission form so people can register and submit their own drive details. So ultimately, do please continue to submit your drives features here. But, you can wait and directly use the form at a later date.

I hope to bring the site online within the next week after some more testing has been done.

Cheers.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #22
Manufacturer: Samsung
Type: CD-R/RW
Model: SW-252B
Accurate Stream: Yes
Caching: No
C2 Error Info: Yes
Overread: No
Sample Offset: +97
Firmware: R700

Reply #23
I would remove the Matching column along with blue colour (OK), and mark two columns (Overread & Sample Offset) with a good colour if overread & offset match, or with a bad colour if overread & offset don't match. Good colour should be green, and the bad/red one a bit brighter (black text isn't too readable on current one). It's also time to switch to PNG!

Reply #24
I would remove the Matching column along with blue colour (OK), and mark two columns (Overread & Sample Offset) with a good colour if overread & offset match, or with a bad colour if overread & offset don't match. Good colour should be green, and the bad/red one a bit brighter (black text isn't too readable on current one).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283190"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this. My html table also has the Matching column, like the .xls file above. But I'm considering whether to implement your suggestion. I think it's a good idea since it removes a column. Below the table I'd need to add some text to explain what the colours mean but that need only be a sentance or two.

It's also time to switch to PNG!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283190"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yup.
daefeatures.co.uk