Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC (Read 88996 times) previous topic - next topic

Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC

Reply #50
Yes you're right. Sentence corrected.

But I'm only a student, I don't have a work, I don't have a credit card nor a bank account...I'd have to ask to my father to make the donation but he's not interested in MPC and he's very diffident to use internet for money transfers...if I had a work I'd have surely donated some euros.

Sorry.

It's not the lack of donation, it's more the pointles 'Whhooo! Yeah!' type posts. Nothing else was inferred, I was a skint student once too.

As we're at 95%, the pc build should begin soon which means i'll be sat here getting all edgy and tetchy about a possible new mpc release

Reply #51
5% to go until we reach the donation goal.

I hope my new Credit Card will arrive in time  (should be any day now). I had to destroy the old one.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #52
I am very glad to announce that we reached our intitial donation goal of 1150 Euros! 

A big thank you to everyone who donated and to everyone who supports this. We are absolutely stunned by the overwhelming participation. The donation will still continue, probably till the end of this week, for the bank account donations to arrive in time. Bank account donations will probably be accepted till wednesday or thursday. You may also still donate via PayPal if you feel the urge to donate, however, it is not required anymore for the basic PC. All extra money will be spent on upgrading the PC.

Reply #53
I know all you guys are very tech savvy so I am sure you'd also consider to buy the hardware online or wherever cheapest. The prices in US fluctuate a lot: a simple price scan on the online retailers or eBay usually is unbeatable by a wide margin by street retailers. It should more or less be the same in Europe. You could also consider to have the main costly items (CPU, mobo, memory) to be shipped from USA if that would be cheaper. This way the benefit of these donations could be maximized
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #54
I know all you guys are very tech savvy so I am sure you'd also consider to buy the hardware online or wherever cheapest. The prices in US fluctuate a lot: a simple price scan on the online retailers or eBay usually is unbeatable by a wide margin by street retailers. It should more or less be the same in Europe. You could also consider to have the main costly items (CPU, mobo, memory) to be shipped from USA if that would be cheaper. This way the benefit of these donations could be maximized

We already thought of that and also discussed it in the thread Frank Klemm's new PC. Of course the hardware will be bought online, at very reliable german online shops where we can be sure that there will be no bad surprises. Ordering from USA is out of the question for various reasons mentioned in the thread. But thanks for thinking about these things and bringing it up.

Reply #55
I would like to pose a question for consideration. Would it be appropriate to request permission from the donators to funnel the overage to the HydrogenAudio fund. Frank is already going to get a great machine. It would be nice to see the melting pot called HA benefit as well. Without these forums, many codecs, MPC included would not have a place to be fleshed out and tested. If Frank does go forward with MPC development, all codecs could benefit. I say this because one item I heard proposed was to make the psi-model modular. This would allow AAC/MP3/whatever to benefit from what Frank himself called the greatest strength of MPC, the psi-model.

Reply #56
I would like to pose a question for consideration. Would it be appropriate to request permission from the donators to funnel the overage to the HydrogenAudio fund. Frank is already going to get a great machine. It would be nice to see the melting pot called HA benefit as well.

I'd second that, but to be honest i'm happy with whatever way they use the overflow cash.

Reply #57
I would like to pose a question for consideration. Would it be appropriate to request permission from the donators to funnel the overage to the HydrogenAudio fund. Frank is already going to get a great machine. It would be nice to see the melting pot called HA benefit as well.

I'd second that, but to be honest i'm happy with whatever way they use the overflow cash.

You cannot collect money for a specific purpose and then give the money to someone else.

Reply #58

You cannot collect money for a specific purpose and then give the money to someone else.

Yeah, the money will be used only for Frank's PC. CiTay will get a small payment for handling the donation, assembly and installing of the machine, but that's it.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #59
Perhaps my earlier post was not clear.

"Would it be appropriate to request permission from the donators to funnel the overage to the HydrogenAudio fund."

Permission is the key word here.

Frank will not benefit as much from a 4 Ghz machine vs 3 Ghz, as would HA having the excess. If people read the earlier posts in this thread, they will see the HA contributions have been quite low. That is troubling considering the benefits of having HA here for us.

Edit: You have my permission to redirect my $15 US to HA if you wish to CiTay.

Reply #60
Please shoot me...

How can i donate?

We would be very glad if you could donate something, even if it's not much. The best way to donate is PayPal. Don't worry if you don't have a PayPal account, it is very easy to set up and free of charge. All transactions through PayPal are completely secure. While making the donation, you will have the chance to enter your Hydrogenaudio nickname in order to be listed below. If you prefer to stay anonymous, simply don't enter your nickname and you will not be listed. Any donated money will only be spent for the purpose of this donation.

ok... whats the address for PayPal?  (My account did have 'issue's' with it, recently, although, upon checking today, it all seems working again)

I honestly cant see it anywhere!...

I gotta cut back on drinking......

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']arghrrgrh![/span]

Reply #61

Unless you happen to be the federal government
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #62
How can i donate?

We would be very glad if you could donate something, even if it's not much. The best way to donate is PayPal. Don't worry if you don't have a PayPal account, it is very easy to set up and free of charge. All transactions through PayPal are completely secure. While making the donation, you will have the chance to enter your Hydrogenaudio nickname in order to be listed below. If you prefer to stay anonymous, simply don't enter your nickname and you will not be listed. Any donated money will only be spent for the purpose of this donation.

ok... whats the address for PayPal?  (My account did have 'issue's' with it, recently, although, upon checking today, it all seems working again)

I honestly cant see it anywhere!...

I gotta cut back on drinking......

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']arghrrgrh![/span]

well, have a look at 1st page of this thread, 1st post iirc.

Reply #63
Perhaps my earlier post was not clear.

"Would it be appropriate to request permission from the donators to funnel the overage to the HydrogenAudio fund."

Permission is the key word here.

Frank will not benefit as much from a 4 Ghz machine vs 3 Ghz, as would HA having the excess. If people read the earlier posts in this thread, they will see the HA contributions have been quite low. That is troubling considering the benefits of having HA here for us.

After JohnV's hint couple of people actually made some donation to HA together with fund for Frank's PC. I think everybody is well aware of the fact that both needs some fund to run the show. Everybody is free to donate something in addition to other one. But, IMHO, putting some money from one pot to another for different purpose might not be a good idea.
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #64
I'd rather see my money go to Frank than HA. That's just my personal priority, no offence meant.

Reply #65
I'd rather see my money go to Frank than HA. That's just my personal priority, no offence meant.

This money including the extra "red" goes to Frank's PC.
No offence taken.  But you know what to do if you want to help HA..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #66
But you know what to do if you want to help HA..

Sorry to be off-topic, but was there ever a way set up to make a single donation to HA?

It was mentioned as a work-in-progress on the thread announcing the subscriptions, but I haven't seen anything since.  I can't be the only one who doesn't like recurring credit card transactions. 

Reply #67
Ahh haa, the paypal icon wasnt showing up on my computer at work - have donated

Reply #68
I must admit that I thought that this initiative was kinda goofy at first. But now I'm, well, AMAZED. Congratulations.
My surprise and overall astonished state will reach cosmic levels if Frank actually starts working on Musepack again.

Once more, congratulations to all that contributed.

Enjoy!

Reply #69
Even if Frank doesn't write another line of code, I hope this helps him to understand the level of appreciation we all have.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #70
Even if Frank doesn't write another line of code, I hope this helps him to understand the level of appreciation we all have.

I'll second that.

Reply #71

I'm speechless.

First I though it is only a crazy idea by Christian.
But it seems to be real ...
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #72
Hi Frank. Thank you!

Reply #73
I'm glad the community showed Frank what they think of his work. It is happy news to us all.

Keep up the good work, and to the others who mocked Chris on #foobar2000:

AHAHAHAHAHAH to you all

(my last off-topic post ever)
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #74
Hey Frank, thanks for stopping by. Now you can see how much we appreciate your work...   

Keep up with your good spirit.
-- Floydian Slip