Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] From: Sound Cards (Read 1469 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] From: Sound Cards

Cables and interconnects: for me, people should definitely step up from the 'giveaway' stuff, like ditching the cruddy earbuds supplied with most portable player. But the law of diminishing returns kicks in quite early at least in my opinion. I don't know what's on the market in the USA, but in the UK, Richer Sounds have some keenly-priced cables and interconnects that are worth a modest investment.

What do they offer over something like the standard cables included with their CD player or DAC or whatnot?

Earbuds (and headphones and speakers in general) are mechanical devices with various physical tradeoffs, so it makes sense that they sound different.

But what exactly does "upgrading" your cables and interconnects offer on the sound quality front?

When I first upgraded, I wired one speaker with the new stuff (QED 79-strand, supplied free with the speakers, thanks to Richer Sounds*) and the other side with the basic bellwire, then played a mono Bob Dylan album. I compared by unplugging one cable, then the other, with the speakers next to each other.

The bellwire sounded worse to me. The QED (and some heavy-gauge mains cable I also had to hand, thanks to an old steam iron I no longer needed) both sounded better to me. You may experience different results.

I'd recommend using your own personal judgement and not trusting implicitly in the polemics that exist on both sides of this particular unending argument. If you can do this by spending little or no money, so much the better.

*If I'd thought quick enough when they asked me what length I wanted, i could have asked for just a metre or so more and had enough to experiment with bi-wiring, but I didn't.