Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't rip new (ish) audio CD's at all (Read 7118 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't rip new (ish) audio CD's at all

Well as the title says, no matter what ripping program and/or settings I try, I just can't get some of my audio CD's to rip. I've tried all possible settings and fixes but nothing seem to fix this issue. As soon as I press Copy Selected Tracks, the program just freezes and crash or don't get any futher. I do see the progress window, but nothing happens.

I have a slimtype BD drive that is recognized by EAC but still no dice. My neighbours borrowed lappy rips the same CD's without problems with the same settings (specific alterations due to hardware differences of course).

What am I missing here? Why can't I get this to work?

The last guide I'm using is this:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=578681

Reply #2
Well, Win 7 detects the driver automatically. Don't think there's any other drivers....

Reply #3
Well, Win 7 detects the driver automatically. Don't think there's any other drivers....

No, I mean: check for updates. (Or alternatives.)

Edit: I have been using http://www.driveridentifier.com/ , but i comes up with far too many suggestions, you should probably know what you are doing.

Reply #4
I'm assuming you have the latest EAC. Did you try with an older version of EAC or with a different program? It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but if it worked it would at least help narrow it down.

Reply #5
I've tried dbPoweramp, latest foobar2000 and IsoBuster. None of the programs allows me to rip even a bit of the song. :-(

Reply #7
Drivers you say? How can I fix that (if at all)? I'm not overly fond of magic driver wizards like the one you linked to. Too many bad experiences with viruses n stuff...

Reply #8
Drivers you say? How can I fix that (if at all)? I'm not overly fond of magic driver wizards like the one you linked to. Too many bad experiences with viruses n stuff...

That is healthy skepticism yes. But, find brand and model, and go to the manufactorer's website.

Reply #9
My drive is a Slimtype BD E DS4ETS. Doesn't seem like there's any software at all for it. :-(

Reply #10
Is there another drive you can use?

Reply #11
Not really, no. Guess maybe I could borrow something...

Reply #12
Try copying Nero SCSI driver into EAC folder, and checking in EAC to use SCSI access.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #13
What discs are you trying to rip? It might help to diagnose.

Reply #14
are you sure it's not a "slimtype bd e ds4e1s"?

seems like a whole lot of people have problems with that model.  it doesn't surprise me with either model, considering the amount of protection that corporations put into protecting blu-ray discs.

can you PLAY any audio from the drive?  I can't think of anything but drivers.

Reply #15
-How can I get Nero SCSI driver?

-The disc(s) I'm trying to rip is Megadeth - United Abominations, and also some of the old remasters.

-I can play the audio, but not rip it.

Reply #16
You need to borrow/buy another drive to see if it's the drive. There's no reason a disc wouldn't rip but will play unless it was one of those silly copy protected ones.

Reply #17
The CD is too recent to have copy protection, even on Megadeth's previous label Capitol/EMI, I think. (United Abominations was released by Roadrunner.)

I suppose the 'Slimtype' means that this is a laptop, and that replacing the drive is too much hassle (at least for a user who hesitates updating drivers)? Then you would probably go external, although it is a less ideal solution.

Reply #18
Ok, I managed to connect a internal 5.25" DVD-R unit with SATA-to-USB adapter, and the disc will not read in that unit either. I mean, c'mon! Is it possible my computer has some kind of integrated DRM? It's a HTPC, ASRock Vision 3D 137B...

Reply #19
Hmmm... with the BD drive, I can't play the disc at all.

With the external drive, I can play the disc, but the sound is crackly... what gives?

Reply #20
I can play the audio, but not rip it.

Which one is it, then?

I would try with different CDs and DVDs.

If that fails to even play, try to troubleshoot the software. Reinstall/reimage Windows or boot from a live Linux USB and see if the optical drive works normally there. If the drive is recognized in Linux, but doesn't work properly it's most likely a hardware problem.

Reply #21
Is it possible my computer has some kind of integrated DRM?

If you had the 'luck' to get one of the malware-infected Sony CDs, ... well, in the very least your antivirus should object?

Trying to boot from a Linux live-CD (or USB drive) might give you an indication yes.

By the way, this computer seems to have an eSATA input on the back (editions may vary though), and that might be better than USB. (Some of the low-level communication with IDE/SATA devices might get lost over certain USB controllers.)

Reply #22
I can play the audio, but not rip it.

Which one is it, then?

I would try with different CDs and DVDs.

If that fails to even play, try to troubleshoot the software. Reinstall/reimage Windows or boot from a live Linux USB and see if the optical drive works normally there. If the drive is recognized in Linux, but doesn't work properly it's most likely a hardware problem.

I must have confused the first answer with the borrowed laptop. I can not play the audio at all. Not rip, not play.

I borrowed another external dvd-r unit now and it will rarely even detect the disc and ejects it. It must be some kind of copy protection involved, because older discs work.

Reply #23
As someone mentioned, it may be a hardware issue with the optical drive. I can try to change it, but my main concern is that the DVD-drive I connected didn't work properly either. Could the BD-drive somehow disturb other drives as long as it's connected? If I were to disconnect it for testing purposes, do I have to open the machine up and physically do it, or would it be enough to disable it in the BIOS?