Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HELP! Edit an ogg header (Read 7299 times) previous topic - next topic

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Hi! I need your help... i should change the length of an ogg file: for example, i have a 3:30 ogg file, but it should be only 2:20 for winamp or windows media player... what i should exactly change in the hex editor?

I can only use an hex editor... i hope you'll help me 

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Reply #1
Help me, i need some info about it...

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Reply #2
You can read the Vorbis docs, for complete header parsing info.

If you want to do it the easy way: The length value is stored in Samples, so you can convert that to hex and search for the value. It should be just a few bytes behind the "OggS" string.

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Reply #3

If you want to do it the easy way: The length value is stored in Samples, so you can convert that to hex and search for the value. It should be just a few bytes behind the "OggS" string.

I need a method without using .dlls, but only using files .ogg and an hex editor...

Which bytes exactly? I'm really noob about it...

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Reply #4
Why do you need to do it?

I don't know enough about the fileformat to offer real advice, but I'd be worried about changing values in Ogg files.

If you want, you can just truncate the file somewhere in the middle (as if "the download had been canceled," if you get what I mean) to shorten the playtime. I'm sure there are hex editors that can do that.

HELP! Edit an ogg header

Reply #5

I need a method without using .dlls, but only using files .ogg and an hex editor...

Which bytes exactly? I'm really noob about it...

What DLL, genius?

You take the samples length (foobar -> Properties, for example 3:30 would be 9261000 samples) convert the decimal value to hex(8D4FC8), reverse byte order (C84F8D), search for the value, edit, save. That's it.

I don't know what you hope to achieve by that, but if you don't know what you're doing, you better leave it like it is.