Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Public Multiformat Listening Test @ ~96 kbps [July 2014], AAC, Opus, O (Read 126897 times) previous topic - next topic

Public Multiformat Listening Test @ ~96 kbps [July 2014], AAC, Opus, O

Reply #100
Update.
If you are allocated by the website as odd group and you are willing to donate more, please test:
sample 37 13 21 39

If you are allocated by the website as even group and you are willing to donate more, please test:
sample 12 16 18 20 26 28 36 40

We are close to the September 12th deadline.

Reply #101
When you can't download the samples due to 403 error, you can click "Toggle Server location" and you can download.

Reply #102
Anyone who has never bothered with the ABX screen will have missed a useful feature there: you can knowingly listen to each of the codec samples.

Yes, it's a smart strategy. Set any non-original sample as sample B and press "Play B (w)"!

Reply #103
The deadline is 24 hours from now (September 12th). Please be careful not to forget to send mail to us.

Reply #104
Update.
If you are allocated by the website as even group and you are willing to donate more, please test:
sample 16 12 20 18 40 36 26 28

If you are allocated by the website as odd group and you are willing to donate more, please test:
sample 21 37 39

Reply #105
Thank You, Kamedo2.

You have commented me that Sample16 needs results most of all. So I will ask people please to submit some results for this sample.

And of course some results for any other samples will be great too.

Reply #106
One of our donator kindly told me that people in Europe have less time if we use JST.
Sorry, I imagined it backward.

We will accept results as long as there is a timezone which is September 12th.
So we will accept results until 11:59 September 13th UTC.
In this way, people in Hawaii should have no problem testing in September 12th.

Reply #107
We currently need results of sample 37, 12, 16, 18, 20, 36.

Reply #108
We currently need results of sample sample 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 36, and sample 37, 29, 24, 26, 28, 30, 39.

Reply #109
It is 6 hours 17 minutes before the deadline. The results of 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 is few now.

Reply #110
1 hour before the deadline. If you have time, please simply test in the order suggested by the website, and please don't forget to mail the results.

Reply #111
We have just closed the listening test. There were 38 participant, with 339 valid results.
Thank you for all the people participated in this test!

Reply #112
Yeah! 

Eager to know the final output.  Which codec has produced the highest quality.

Reply #113
Awesome, can't wait to see the results.

Reply #114
Breaking news:

Reply #115
Oops. we don't include "our" results, Kamedo2 and Steve Forte Rio.
Still we have so much accuracy.

Reply #116
Thank You very much, Kamedo2 and  Steve Forte Rio.       

Outstanding job.

Participants did a great job too.

Reply #117
With all 339 results. Opus Wins and Apple AAC comes second.

Reply #118
First of all, thank you for organizing this test! Your efforts are much appreciated as there aren't much tests   

The results are interesting. Through all the testing it seemed to me that there were 2 encoders clearly inferior to both others (anchors left aside). With some samples, there was one encoder (almost) impossible for me to abx. I supposed this better one was Apple AAC. Now I'm surprised that Opus had come out as the best one. Not a single Opus sample got rated below 4.0. But overall, I'm surprised how good have become encoders at around 100kbps bit rate.

I haven't played with Opus though I listen to some online radio with Opus streams at 64kbps (which sounds very good). How come it's so good? I'm impressed.

Once again: Thank you guys for having organized this test!

Reply #119
Great work, wouldn't have expected Opus to win by such a clear margin. The only thing I'm still curious about now are the single results of the testers, including my own of course.

Reply #120
The score vs bitrate of each track.

Reply #123
Very nice. Thank you, Kamedo2, thank you, IgorC, and thanks to all who took part in our test!

Now I'm surely going to convert my music to Opus --bitrate 96 and to listen it on my portable player with no worries about possible annoying artifacts

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!