Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need good headphones for your portable player? (Read 6239 times) previous topic - next topic

Need good headphones for your portable player?

I went out to buy some new headphones for my Discman today. During an extended listening session in the store, i came across some small, very lightweight and great sounding open headphones called "Sennheiser PX 100", for 50 €:

They have an amazing bass reproduction and clear, airy highs. I tried several Sonys etc., but these were the best headphones by far. I never heard such a good sound from my Discman. At home again, i gave them a listen with the Creative DAP Jukebox, excellent sound. BTW, i also tried the PX 200 (70 €) in the store, but surprisingly they didn't sound as good.

Give them a listen, you'll never want to use other headphones with your portable player again. (No, i wasn't bribed by Sennheiser!  )

Page: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/product...hones/px100.htm

Reply #1
Other than the fact that I need not spend more money on headphones (I have Ety 4Ps), I'd be more interested to hear the quality of the PX 200 or 250s instead (although the 250s sound awfully expensive).

Reply #2
I was actually looking at getting a pair of these. The main reason that the specs show them as being very efficient.

How loud do they get with weak portables compared to other headphones you have?
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #3
I'd be more interested to hear the quality of the PX 200 or 250s instead (although the 250s sound awfully expensive).

As i said, i didn't like the PX 200 that much, compared to the PX 100. The bass was much weaker. The PX 250 are the same as the PX 200, but with active noise compensation.

How loud do they get with weak portables compared to other headphones you have?

Quite loud, but not deafening. Apparently they were designed for use with portable players, and i'm really satisfied with the loudness i can achieve. However, if you're on the bus and want to make the grandma in the rearmost seat bounce to the music from your headphones, you should look for something else. And as always, it's good to do a listening test in the store.

Reply #4
How do they compare to the Koss Porta Pro's? I think a fair number of people consider them the "reference" low-end Discman headphone (the guys at HeadRoom seem to, at least).

If my Porta Pro's ever break (and they haven't after 6 or 7 years, plus Koss's warranty policy is fantastic), I might want a new pair of headphones that don't make me look like I'm from another planet. People always stare, friends always ask: what's that on your head?

Reply #5
How do they compare to the Koss Porta Pro's? I think a fair number of people consider them the "reference" low-end Discman headphone (the guys at HeadRoom seem to, at least).

If my Porta Pro's ever break (and they haven't after 6 or 7 years, plus Koss's warranty policy is fantastic), I might want a new pair of headphones that don't make me look like I'm from another planet. People always stare, friends always ask: what's that on your head?

Portapro's

Accept no substitutes.

But still, I'm interested.

Reply #6
How do they compare to the Koss Porta Pro's?

I just dug out a review of the PX's from c't magazine, and they say that there's a remarkable similarity of the PX 100's frequency response with that of the PortaPro's (which are their reference headphones for MP3 player tests).

The graph of the PX 200 confirms my impression that the bass is their weak point. The PX 250 have the same good bass as the PX 100, maybe because of that noise compensation (which seems to work well, BTW).

Reply #7
Glad to hear yet another person rave about these headphones.  I ordered a pair (along with a 512MB CF card) from Amazon on Saturday and UPS says they'll be on my doorstep tomorrow.  Can't wait!

Reply #8
Other than the fact that I need not spend more money on headphones (I have Ety 4Ps), I'd be more interested to hear the quality of the PX 200 or 250s instead (although the 250s sound awfully expensive).

What kind of amp do you have with those? (PLeeease don't tell me you don't have an amp!!!)

---

More on the topic, I think that the best bet for a portable w/o amp is the Koss KSC-35 or KSC-50s.  They sound a lot better than their low price suggests.
地獄

Reply #9
I'm poor, so the only headphones I have are my HD-280 pros with TAH.  I look like a dork wearing them but they sound very nice.
地獄

Reply #10
I didn't notice this mentioned yet here, but the PX100s are open headphones and the PX200s are basically closed in that they make a seal over the ear and have some isolation. The PX200s would be much more appropriate for taking on busses, trains, cars and whatnot. The quieter the envirement the better for open headphones like PX100s (or Portapros for that matter).

Reply #11
[More on the topic, I think that the best bet for a portable w/o amp is the Koss KSC-35 or KSC-50s.  They sound a lot better than their low price suggests.

I own Koss KSC-55's (same drivers as 35, 50 or porta-pros but with the behind-the-neck band).  Got them from Wal-mart for $30 cdn.  I wasn't expecting much, but they sound great!  A little bass-heavy, but thats easily fixable with an EQ.  Unfortunately, they aren't that comfortable for 1+ hours wearing time, but maybe my head is just larger than average.    In any case they are mostly used for working out, running etc. so I don't require long wear times.

And no, I don't use an amp.  Just run them straight into my Nomad II.

Reply #12
Actually, my Etys were a gift from my brother. I'm looking for a good *portable* headphone amp that I wouldn't feel bad using at home as well. Any suggestions? Clean output, of course, before any other considerations. Although size would probably matter, too.

Reply #13
I'm looking for a good *portable* headphone amp that I wouldn't feel bad using at home as well. Any suggestions? Clean output, of course, before any other considerations. Although size would probably matter, too.

http://www.fixup.net/

Super Mini is supposed to be pretty good for what it is, maybe one of the best portable amps at a reasonable price. Take a look around the headfi Amplification Forum for maybe other options.

Reply #14
Just today I went ahead and bought these headphones (px 100) and now I find this thread.

I got interested when I read the review in the c't magazine, so I searched around a bit on head-fi and headwize to gather some opinions. Those who auditioned them also said they were good competition to the PortaPros. I can't coment on the PortaPros, but I can say that I like the sound of the Sennheisers alot! I was astonished by the amount of bass these small, lightweight cans can deliver.

Now I could start using words like "frequency response is balanced" and "good soundstage", but I don't feel qualified to do so. Let's just say I like how they sound and don't have anything to complain about.

What bothers me at the moment is that after some time they start hurting my ears, because the pressure is still quite high, but I expect that to settle in the next few days. Otherwise they are very comfortable (lightweight, padded). On the first glance they don't look very sturdy, but when you pick em up, you notice that they are in fact quite robust. They can be folded neatly to save space and come with a conveniant plastic case to keep them safe. They also look good, so no worries about stupid remarks. I also believe they don't leak too much sound to the environment so you won't bother your fellow travellers on the train.