Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Making LAME Preset's EVEN Easier..../LAME 3.94 (Read 3534 times) previous topic - next topic

Making LAME Preset's EVEN Easier..../LAME 3.94

Howdy,
In lame 3.90.3modified, the preset's have been changed from "--alt-preset standard" to "--preset standard".
I think it could be made even easier by having just "-standard" "-extreme" etc
Also, I think --alt-preset standard should be made default for LAME. The default is still 128k mp3's LOL,
My other question, not related to this, will 3.94 be fully tested and recommendard in the future? I'd like to be able to use the latest LAME version again.
Anyways, My 2 cents.,
Burgerings

Reply #1
Anyone, Care to comment?
Cheers,
Burgerings

Reply #2
Oh, I've suggested this b4 but people seems to ignore

"--preset standard" to "--standard" to

standard  "-std"
extreme  "-xtr"
insane "-ins"

3 characters switch?

Reply #3
This has been discussed numerous times. A change to the command-line options will not happen before LAME 4.0 because it would break compatibility with existing applications; in LAME 4, however, changes like these will surely be made.

Reply #4
What about just S(tandard), X(treme) and I(nsane)?

Reply #5
because it would break compatibility with existing applications; in LAME 4, however, changes like these will surely be made.

make both old and new switch available...........problem solved

Reply #6
Ultimately, I would prefer the presets to be integrated / mapped to the default bitrate settings in the codec... IE, the default settings for all bitrates. That way, people cannot mess up by inputting -b 192 - they would get the equivalent of --alt-preset cbr 192. The --alt-presets and --presets should be kept as is to keep with compatibility as well. If you want to get the equivalent of switches such as the -b 192 switch that exists today, you should have to force it using switches such as --gpsycho and -m s. I bet a lot of people would be surprised at the quality increase of the 4.0 release if this re-mapping was done  . Other encoders have done this for a long time - why shouldn't LAME?

PS - I'm sure that this has been recommended before.....

Reply #7
Please make LAME default to preset standard . . . LAME 192 rips out-number standard about 10 to 1 because people aren't willing to put in the effort.

Really anything but 128 would be a leap forward.

Reply #8
Please make LAME default to preset standard . . .

I would have to second this motion.  I had no idea LAME could encode without specific parameters until I just tested it now, and I find it odd that even the latest versions use 128Kbps CBR as the default method.

However, if some applications are coded not to pass encoding parameters for a simple 128Kbps LAME encode, then you'd have people complaining about getting VBR MP3s instead of 128.

As mentioned above, something like this will have more liklihood of appearing in LAME 4.0

@kortim
Personally, I think that multiple commands giving the same method (i.e. "--alt-preset standard", "--preset standard", "--standard", "-std") would really confuse newbies.  I can just see someone coming in asking "Should I use --alt-preset standard, --preset standard, or -std?"

Reply #9
What about just S(tandard), X(treme) and I(nsane)?

From LAME long help:
-s = Sampling frequency of input file (kHz).
-S = Don't print progress report, VBR histograms.
-x = Force byte-swapping of input.

I think single letter presets would confuse matters even more since some of them are already taken.

Also xtreme is what it is in MusePack, in LAME it is extreme.

---

I don't think changing the preset names would be very beneficial for the fact that whatever software is used rather it be CD ripper(s), or encoder frontend(s) would really benefit from the change since for all practical purposes punching in --alt-preset standard -Z is a one time affair since the CD ripper(s) and encoder frontend(s) save the configuration settings.