Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
ABBA's Dancing Queen, Best Source?
CyberTootie
post Sep 14 2009, 01:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7836

I've read that the best CD source for ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 2 pre-remaster. (Source) I've read that "Dancing Queen" has inverted stereo. (Source) I also believe I've read somewhere that the Gold version had stereo anomalies and the Greatest Hits Vol 2 version was pretty much the same without the anomalies.

So my question is this: Can I essentially get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 version of "Dancing Queen" by simply swapping the channels of the Gold version, or is the anomaly more complicated than just a left/right swap?

--------------------
Project Leader of DDResampled
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Sep 14 2009, 20:13
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

I have ABBA Gold, and I never noticed anything wrong.

I wouldn't know if left/right were reversed. I have no idea how the group sets-up physically, and it's not something I even think about...
+Quote Post
mozpiano2
post Nov 1 2009, 10:57
Post #3

Member No.: 74512

There have been a number of different remastetrings of ABBA Gold over the years.

1992 Tretow - Remastered by Michael B. Tretow. Original dynamic range intact although rather bright EQ at times
1999 Astley - Terrible EQ, heaps of compression and a whole lot of Noise Reduction
2008 Jonsson - Very very loud, no noise reduction and better EQ than Astley.

Dancing Queen sounds different in all of these versions, and also sounds different again in the Greatest Hits Vol. 2 CD.

Rudolf Ondrich, I am the webmaster of http://www.abbajustlikethat.comyr.com/
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Nov 2 2009, 11:37
Post #4

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

http://www.abbajustlikethat.comyr.com/1_4_...ile-Corner.html

Wow - I never knew!

(I knew some Abba CDs sounded awful, but I didn't know the story was even worse than The Beatles CDs!)

Thanks for posting that Rudolf. Back to the vinyl then! (though sadly that isn't always in the best condition - people actually played their Abba records! wink.gif )

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post
musicollector
post Nov 7 2011, 01:26
Post #5

Member No.: 94698

QUOTE (CyberTootie @ Sep 13 2009, 17:40) *
I've read that the best CD source for ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 2 pre-remaster. (Source) I've read that "Dancing Queen" has inverted stereo. (Source) I also believe I've read somewhere that the Gold version had stereo anomalies and the Greatest Hits Vol 2 version was pretty much the same without the anomalies.

So my question is this: Can I essentially get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 version of "Dancing Queen" by simply swapping the channels of the Gold version, or is the anomaly more complicated than just a left/right swap?

I have the original copy from the album, Arrival. Sounds great to me!

--------------------
Harry
--
http://harry.cckerala.com
Streaming Pop & Rock tunes
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 12:57