Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD playback: I don’t get 5.1, just stereo + I cannot play via S/PDIF (Read 4509 times) previous topic - next topic

SACD playback: I don’t get 5.1, just stereo + I cannot play via S/PDIF

I got some of my SACDs ripped and tried to play them with foobar.

Problem is that I dont have the 5.1 surround sound its just plain stereo. Foobar says that it's 6 channels.

I have a XFI Xtreme Music PCI with the latest PAX drivers. I go via SPDIF to my receiver. I can playback DVDs/HDDVD/BluRays with full DD/DTS support (My receiver says so and changes automatically the mode)

Foobar dont change to digital output and so I cannot hear anything except stereo. Is there an option anywhere in foobar which tells it to put the sound to the spdif output or is this not possible.

I tried with ASIO and SPDIF in the options. without any luck.

Reply #1
It's not quite clear to me what you're trying to achieve, but here are some pointers:

- There are several plugin components available which can downmix the mc-tracks
- SPDIF can only transport stereo AFAIK
- foobar2000 does not support bitstreaming of DSD (or any other format AFAIK). I find it interesting, though, that you seem to have achieved DTS bitstreaming, I've never got it to work.

Reply #2
Your receiver cannot decode DSD (SACD) signals so it would be pointless to send that format as-is digitally to the receiver.

The decoder in FLAC will decode the surround DSD and put it out on your audio card outputs - all 6 of them. The Front L/R channels can be also send to digital output too, but you cannot cram the other channels in there too like  that - uncompressed.
That's why DolbyDigital and DTS formats where created - those are loosy compression formats that allow the 5.1 channels in the bandwidth of 2 channels (SPDIF). Kind of like mp3 but for surround.
You would have to encode those 6 channels on-the-fly in DolbyDigital or DTS in order to send via SPDIF. That would be done with loss of quality anyway. Creative sells a software that would do that on their cards that have DSP, but I don't know if is worth it.