Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPackDrop (Read 8856 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPackDrop

I made a frontend for the WavPack lossless encoder. It also handles the lossy mode, the self extracting exe feature, and the new "hybrid mode" lossy with a recovery file. I must say I REALLY like this latest beta version of WavPack, which isn't available on the WavPack website yet. It's SWEEET! If anyone is interested in checking it out just e-mail me at:
layer3maniac@!hotmail.com

WavPackDrop

Reply #1
I agree with you, this new beta is awesome.  I have excellent quality lossy files stored on my hard drive and just burn the recovery files to cd should I need to access the original wave.  I was a bit turned off by lossy compression before because I like to be able to listen to my music whenever I want, but I didn't want to take up all the hard drive room.  Also, for most of my music I could only fit one whole cd on each cd-r.  I don't like to split up my cds, so it wasn't worth it.  But now I can fit the recovery files of two and sometimes three cds on each cd-r.  This is the perfect format.

Jordan

WavPackDrop

Reply #3
Hey, you guys are too kind, thanks!!

layer3maniac, your frontend is great! I will definitely reference it when I update the WavPack site with the new version. Thanks again.

Oh, BTW, the hybrid/lossy mode works with self-extraction too. Which is kind of neat because someone could download a lossy self-extracting file and create a .wav file. Then, if they liked it they could download the recovery file for a lossless copy without wasting the time they spent already downloading the original.

WavPackDrop

Reply #4
Is it necessary to use the -h switch for the lossy mode?  For previous versions of wavpack, your website said that using this switch with the lossy mode would increase the quality.  I'm just wondering if it increases the quality with this hybrid codec too.  Also, if you create a self extracting file, will it automatically check for the recovery file when you open it?  Thanks for your time,

Jordan

WavPackDrop

Reply #5
Hi Jordan. I guess I didn't mention that the new lossy / hybrid mode has replaced all three old lossy modes. The new mode is slower than the old ones, but the quality is so much higher that I couldn't let myself leave them in there (except for decode, of course). I may add variations in the future, but for now the -f and -h options do nothing in hybrid mode. For lossless, -h is still recommended.

Yes, the self-extraction code will look in its directory for the recovery file. If it's there the decompression will be lossless and reported as such, otherwise it will be lossy.

WavPackDrop

Reply #6
Thanks for the info David!  I will fix the GUI to make sfx a top level menu option which is available to all of the modes today. The new lossy output really does sound VERY impressive to me. I will try to get some EAQUAL results and post them. Thanks again for writing such an awesome encoder with such neat features and BLAZING speed!

WavPackDrop

Reply #7
Many thanks to everybody who tried out the new WavPack beta and offered their comments, and again thanks to speek and layer3maniac for their great frontends. I have created a full 3.93 release and replaced the beta with it:

http://wavpack.com/wp393b.zip

I added options to turn off joint-stereo (helps a lot with Ivan's hard.wav and velvet.wav) and to override the default for 1st order noise shaping. I was also able to speed up the hybrid mode processing by about 10%.

BTW, layer3maniac, may I supply your frontend directly on my site or would you prefer that I link to Roberto's site?

Cheers!

WavPackDrop

Reply #8
Originally posted by bryant
BTW, layer3maniac, may I supply your frontend directly on my site or would you prefer that I link to Roberto's site?
By all means. I would be truly HONORED to have you host it! I'll get it updated to enable sfx for all of the modes today and e-mail it to you directly if you want. Thanks!

WavPackDrop

Reply #9
Originally posted by layer3maniac
By all means. I would be truly HONORED to have you host it! I'll get it updated to enable sfx for all of the modes today and e-mail it to you directly if you want. Thanks!

Thanks, that'd be great! It's david at wavpack dot com.